You in 2015

I'm going to do my fourth feature/third part of my end times trilogy. That's the big goal. Aside from that, I want to do two more Surviving The Wild episodes, and continue my new vlog series, Truck Talk.

I've enjoyed reading all of your plans. I agree -- there's no harm in laying your goals/plans out in a forum like this. You may end up eating a big slice of humble pie, were you to make a big announcement on facebook, or whatever, should you not actually follow through. But at this website, I think any reasonable person understands that most of us are doing this on the side of our "day job", and sometimes life just gets in the way of your filmmaking plans.

Nick -- I know what you mean, regarding feedback from friends/family/colleagues -- it's pretty easy to tell the difference between polite compliments, vs. sincere admiration. I don't have a problem with the latter, but the former is nice. And yes, The Magic Circle is legit!

All-Star -- I know nothing of your Crew movie, so my comments could be way off-based, but I kinda think a 30-minute film is overkill as practice for a feature. Just my two cents -- I think a 15-20 minute short will teach you plenty of skills necessary for that feature.

Dready -- Your plans sound great, and I'm intrigued by this software. If you want any feedback, please toss some info my way, and I'll promise to keep it secret.

Well enough about you guys, let's talk about me! ;)

I'm turning 40 this year. I'm not gonna say I'm having a mid-life crisis, cuz it doesn't feel anything like a crisis. But I've definitely been taking inventory of myself, and have made some kinda big decisions.

I'm done with being a "starving artist". That is, I don't want to work in a restaurant anymore, simply because it allows me to do pretty much any filmmaking project I want. I'm going back to teaching. Specifically, I want to teach middle-school science.

This DOES NOT mean the end of filmmaking for me. In fact, I think teaching will go great with filmmaking. Many teachers pick up temporary jobs in the summertime; I will not. Summertime is when I'll be shooting movies! I also think a lot of kids would love to have a filmmaking club, one which I of course plan to mentor.

My current projects? I'm currently in post production on the aforementioned BTS videos for Mara's Detours (which, by the way, has been a blessing to be part of). I'm also in the screenwriting phase for my next feature (the re-imaging of Rear Window). There is no deadline on this feature -- the script will be ready when it is ready (rushing the script was my #1 mistake on Antihero).

I also plan to watch a lot of movies! Looking forward to Chappie tomorrow, in spite of the negative reviews I've been seeing.

Best of luck to all, and have a wonderful year of filmmaking!

Finally got a chance to make a more thorough reply here. I'm digging reading about everyone's plans. It's definitely interesting to see the many different paths we have for our filmmaking careers and/or hobbies.

So, for me, I think my main project is going to be the documentary I've been working on now for 18 months and have made little progress with. I'm not going to dive into a narrative project unless I come up with (or the Angels deliver me) a really great script. So I want to focus on making a professional-quality, artistically and intellectually satisfying documentary.

Is this the one about the displaced people living in your home town? From an island in/near India? If so, I remember it sounding interesting, I hope you pull it together.

You still looking for a grad school in the US? How's that going?

I'm in post-prod on my 2nd feature, Detours, and REALLY looking forward to finishing! And then the long job of getting it out to the world starts....
www.detoursfeaturefilm.com

Nice, Mara! I've seen you mention this in passing on here, but I didn't realize it was so close to done. Nor had I seen the website. Damn, that looks stellar. And I'm peanut butter and jelly on that casting. Though I'm also not surprised, you seem like a real hard-working mofo. If I had a feature, I'd want a producer like you.

This year i will finish my youtube, crime thriller web series.
And I will start filming my masterpiece short film for festivals :)

I still don't know if you're trolling us ;) But I look forward to see the finished product.

I want to start writing a children's book about a fantastic adventure.
I also want to start working on a script, writing it in proper format.

Sounds fun! What inspired you to want to make a children's book?

Businesswise I want this to be the year I have a high and stable income and more work than I can handle on my own, so I can grow (and make my friends happy, because I need to hire them).

word.

Dready -- Your plans sound great, and I'm intrigued by this software. If you want any feedback, please toss some info my way, and I'll promise to keep it secret.

I'll pm you some info. I'll definitely need some peeps to be my guinea pigs once I get the basics of it up and running. I was already planning on coercing you(among others) into it, but thanks for volunteering ;)

Well enough about you guys, let's talk about me! ;)

I'm turning 40 this year. I'm not gonna say I'm having a mid-life crisis, cuz it doesn't feel anything like a crisis. But I've definitely been taking inventory of myself, and have made some kinda big decisions.

I'm done with being a "starving artist". That is, I don't want to work in a restaurant anymore, simply because it allows me to do pretty much any filmmaking project I want. I'm going back to teaching. Specifically, I want to teach middle-school science.

This DOES NOT mean the end of filmmaking for me. In fact, I think teaching will go great with filmmaking. Many teachers pick up temporary jobs in the summertime; I will not. Summertime is when I'll be shooting movies! I also think a lot of kids would love to have a filmmaking club, one which I of course plan to mentor.

My current projects? I'm currently in post production on the aforementioned BTS videos for Mara's Detours (which, by the way, has been a blessing to be part of). I'm also in the screenwriting phase for my next feature (the re-imaging of Rear Window). There is no deadline on this feature -- the script will be ready when it is ready (rushing the script was my #1 mistake on Antihero).

I love everything about this. I think teaching and filmmaking do go well together. Summer is plenty of time to get a full feature done. And I'm actually really envious of the prospect of starting a filmmaking club for the yoots. That should be a blast.

I changed my goal plan;

Shoot 3 short film one of them will be my biggest one and the one I use as Agent Bait
Shoot 2 adverts
Shoot 2 Docs

Keep hassling those agents.. I want a feature film deal ASAP

Sounds fun! What inspired you to want to make a children's book?

It's a what if scenario that could perfectly work in the children's mind.
The starting point has been used before, but it opens a lot of rebellious, funny possibilities that grownups would just dismiss as impossible.
Actually, it is a story I would love to read (or have it read to me by (grand)parents) if I was still a kid.
I still need to find that awesome illustrator to make these big magical drawings to visualize the story.

Back