Have you made money from your film?

So we got a big forum of inside film makers here.. I wonder if any of you have filmed a movie , distributed or sold it and earned money off it? I wonder..

Discuss~

No I can't even get past 1,000 views on youtube.

Hmmm chuck me a link mate.
I'll take a look at your vids.

Perhaps us Indie film Makers need to start adding links to some of our own favourite indie film
makers at the end of our vids. Sort of help eachother out a bit by promoting eachother.

I am currently planning my first shoot for a couple of months from now. When that goes up, I would
be more then happy to mention other indie film makers, and their channels, with links, at the end after
credits have rolled.

Hmmm chuck me a link mate.
I'll take a look at your vids.

Perhaps us Indie film Makers need to start adding links to some of our own favourite indie film
makers at the end of our vids. Sort of help eachother out a bit by promoting eachother.

I am currently planning my first shoot for a couple of months from now. When that goes up, I would
be more then happy to mention other indie film makers, and their channels, with links, at the end after
credits have rolled.

I always appreciate an audience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo5Yl9kyn8k

That might help us with a small amount traffic, but its also a lottery in case one of us hits it big. Not a bad idea at all.

That might help us with a small amount traffic, but its also a lottery in case one of us hits it big. Not a bad idea at all.

I just figure for those that make similar genres etc in the indie world it might be good, like a "if you enjoyed this, you might also enjoy my friends work over at <LINK> who do some really entertaining stuff. I enjoyed one they released last month titled ***********"

Yea it will help drive viewers to work of similar genre and production quality, and as you say, if one makes it big, then it could be extremely helpful to the rest who he/she links to.

Plus it shows the public that we all work together rather then trying to fight for their views so it lets them know that we are all good sports about it.

I'll check out your link now.

Just checked out your link. Good production quality, and the sound is good too.
I feel like I came into a film halfway through unfortunately but with that said, It caught my
attention and I wanted to see the rest.

That's kind of my point though, that should have more views then it does because it
is interesting, well made, and the acting is good too. It ticks all the boxes.

my email address is waxdollstudio@gmail.com

If you could flick me an email with that link, and any other projects you think I might like to
link to, then I will view them all and pick my favourites.

That same offer is open to everyone. I obviously only want to link to projects with good
production quality, and the same rule applies to me also. When I upload my projects, if you
think that my production quality or genre is not good for you, then don't promote me. I won't
take it personally in the slightest. I don't want to de-value your work. :)

I lost money on my first feature, cost me $600 to make, but it was a learning experience. My second feature I did for $200, which I made back quickly in DVD sales. My third cost $2000 and I just made that back after DVD sales and two years on YouTube. My YouTube channel now generates a few hundred dollars a month, and half of that is from the two movies, the other half coming from my survival series. This is with ads, not Pay Per View

It's bad, (you have been warned) but you can see it. I didn't pay anyone, and I wrote a script based around what I could do and had available at the time. We did ADR for the entire film, rather than trying and failing to get good audio on set. My budget went to tape stock and food. The shirts in the movie were donated, as were all the locations and some props. I taught the actors parkour over the course of three months, so they performed their own stunts.

I usually recommend people watch Leap 2, the $2k movie first, it's much better lol

Leap ($200)
Shot on a Canon ZR800 in 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmNaM4YBDEg

Leap: Rise of the Beast ($2000)
First completed feature film shot on a T2i with just a kit lens, shot in the summer of 2010. Also the first feature graded with Colorista Free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZd-J7Ucn-c

I grew a lot between the two films, and ultimately made $2000 of the first film (believe it or not) which is why that was my budget for the second. Planning to do part three this summer, http://facebook.com/leap3movie and it's shaping up to be leaps and bounds better than the first two. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Also, the making of Leap: Rise of the Beast (or how to shoot a movie for $2000) Links in the description for Pre, Pro, and Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHP4DthkCvg

Last edited:
My YouTube channel now generates a few hundred dollars a month, and half of that is from the two movies, the other half coming from my survival series. This is with ads, not Pay Per View

That's awesome! The mere fact you have some sort of income stream provides hope.

I have some questions:

( a ) What marketing have you done, if any, to promote your film Leap 1 &2 ? Your views for
Leap are pretty steady even after it's debut.

( b ) Do you think your subject matter attributed to its success? Was it a niche market?

( c ) Do you see free YouTube-only as a viable way of distribution for ultra-low budget
feature filmmakers?

That's awesome! The mere fact you have some sort of income stream provides hope.

I have some questions:

( a ) What marketing have you done, if any, to promote your film Leap 1 &2 ? Your views for
Leap are pretty steady even after it's debut.

( b ) Do you think your subject matter attributed to its success? Was it a niche market?

( c ) Do you see free YouTube-only as a viable way of distribution for ultra-low budget
feature filmmakers?

A. I actually haven't done much marketing at all aside from sharing it on the facebook page which only had like 250 likes. The first year it was up I only earned a few cents on those movies. After that, I began to see an exponential view curve and I'm not sure why.

B. These particular films are almost too much of a niche market, so I don't think that's it. I think it was curiosity given the title more than anything.

C. I think it depends on the movie. In the case of these, if I charged $0.99 to view it, yeah, I could potentially have made over $200,000 by now. BUT, I'm not sure I'd have as many views as I do if I had charged to view it. So I really think it depends. For me, I feel the free route with ads is best for what I'm doing at the moment. I have been offered to partner with other channels, but my CPM is actually higher right now (14-15) than it would be if I partnered (11), so I'm staying solo for the time being.

my CPM is actually higher right now (14-15) than it would be if I partnered (11), so I'm staying solo for the time being.

Would the other channels be able to bring more viewers to your film? 75% of $1mil is better than 100% of Fifty bucks.

Would the other channels be able to bring more viewers to your film? 75% of $1mil is better than 100% of Fifty bucks.

I have considered that, but the channels that have approached me aren't that big themselves yet. I've looked at some of their partners and the views don't seem staggering or anything. If I was approached to partner with a group that their channels consistently have videos with over 100,000 views, I might reconsider.

Back