• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Thoughts on Horror Film in the Works?

So, I've been thinking on making a short, 10-30 minute horror film, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the concept! In a nutshell, a kid finds a cool-looking old mirror at a garage sale, (cliché I know, but if you have a better idea, please share!), and discovers his reflection in the mirror has grown sentience. His reflection can interact with objects in the mirror, and the objects in real life will also be affected. For example, if the reflection picks up a glass, the glass will hover in real life. At first, it's cool for the kid, as the reflection can do stuff like make his room and do his homework, but soon he learns that the reflection has grown bitter, not being able to leave where the mirror reflects. Eventually, the reflection tricks the kid into switching places with him, and the kid is then trapped in the mirror, being forced to reflect everything. He then has to figure out a way to escape, but the mirror still needs a reflection to occupy it...
Please, give me your thoughts! (Too much like Oculus?)

I think the mirror as supernatural element in stories is generally cool. It's an interesting idea. I don't think it sounds too much like Oculus. But that might depend on the story and how you shoot it. But the good thing is that you know Oculus, so you can make a conscious and deliberate effort to avoid making it too much like Oculus.

Best of luck.

I think it sounds like a strong idea. Mirrors seem slightly overused in horror films, but I like this concept. If you execute it well and put enough time in it, you could make something really cool. It doesn't sound like Oculus, so I'd go ahead and do it if you can acquire the proper materials.

Ha ha. My budget? No budget. If I were to do it, it would be completely DIY and stuff. Or maybe I'll just write the script, and put it away until I have a good enough budget. Oh, and I'll have to read the Shadow. It looks cool, and maybe I can get some extra inspiration from it!

Back