• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch STREET CRED, an action shortie with parkour and fighting

Excellent showcase of skills! In front of and behind the camera!

Things that I didn't like:

- The green color grading was a bit too strong. Even though I loved the action and what was going on (you guys are good!) the filter is a bit too stringent on the eyes sometimes.
- The physical acting of some of the bad guys. For the most part, it's not distracting and I can focus on the action. Sometimes though, they don't sell the punches with their face. If you ask them to use their facial expressions more, it carries through in their whole body and makes it even more exciting. Again maybe it came down to time, because with less time you can't always go back and do every shot again and say add more intensity and speed.
- That's ALL I didn't like. Everything else was badass!

What I did like:
- You guys chose to do action which takes bravery, since it's hard to do correctly.
- The cinematography is perfect! It really captures the intensity and even if they're just running, it's pretty to watch the angles the cinematographer used.
- You should be proud of the choreography. Weapons, hand to hand, parkour, that is HARD to mix together. You used a variety of moves. Tricks, kicks, superman punches, grappling. That's what I love to see in a fight scene. Doing fight choreography is some of the hardest to do.
- This is pretty incredible for a shoe string budget. I've seen lots of parkour or brutal fight scenes by people on youtube. However those tend to last 1 min, and 2 minutes tops. People do not understand that just because it doesn't "seem" like you'd need a budget, doesn't mean it was not costly. Some people who have never shot action think it's easy because of the cost. Not really. You need people who are experienced at throwing these kind of punches, kicks, and tricks. The contact has to look real. The physical acting during a fight has to be on point for it to be believable. The angles and cinematography has to be good and are important as well. You guys really got it and I'm happy your film was a success.

I'm wondering is there any way the editor can tone down some of that color filter. It is really strong and besides that, I really loved it.

Thank you for your feedback and happy new year!

Most of them were my friends who had some experience in stunts and martial arts, not exactly professional actors. So i do agree that certain facial expressions could have been better :)

As for the color grading, I was working with magic bullet looks, tried a variety of filters. Had alot of problems as the filter appeared differently based on diff footage shot with different lens. Some came up with a terrible vignette which was a trouble to remove. Initially, my idea was to have an "matrix" feel, hence the greenish look.

The weather in my country is pretty an ass to work with. It could be rainy, cloudy and sunny like just suddenly. Which ultimately affects the location we were shooting and as well as the lighting. I guess regrettably, i had to work with the greenish look to "cover up" the lighting and "conti" limitations IMHO >.<

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope you enjoyed it!

Ah! I had no idea about the weather. It makes sense why you add the filter. Though it's really strong. Your friends did well with the fights even though they aren't actors! I had a friend act as one of the guys in a fight scene. He practices all kinds of martial arts and acrobatics, but his acting didnt sell the fight at all. Watching it again, your friends' reactions are really nice actually!

Anyway let us know about any new fight stuff you're doing soon!

Back