Taking Acting Classes to help Directing

I think that as a Director it is a good idea to have experience in all areas of film that way you can communicate with others in your team better. I think taking acting lessons could be cool. I would like to act in other peoples films and also meet other actors that could be in my films when I act. I think taking a acting class could be good networking to meet actors. I all ready acted in a few short films would like to take acting classes to improve my skills. It could be cool.

I like working as an actor in general, because I'm a shameless whore for performing to begin with, but I really do like your notion of using those classes to assist your mindset as a director. I think that's a fantastic idea.

Definately, as a director, you should know a little bit about every job on set. It helps with communication. As the person on set who spends the most time with the actors in character, you should know that job better :)

I think this is one of the more important things you can learn. Of all the jobs you can learn about the set, I think this is one that should not be skipped. In most film programs now they include "Acting and Directing for Camera" as part of the curriculum. I haven't taken a class in this yet, but I want to. It just seems enriching!

I've acted in a few shorts, but have never taken any acting classes. I think it'd be a better window into the world of an actor because when you have joint classes like these (where directors work with actors in the same class) everyone is on their "best" behaviour. As those classes are probably the best for us filmmakers, everyone is kind of predisposed to trying to impress each other (i.e. the directors try to impress the actors and the actors trying to impress the director.) I would also love to be able to join an acting seminar (even without the directors part) to see what it's really like for them.

It's fun to read various acting boards to learn what many actors are thinking or to see how they view the director. Many boards talk about how being an actor is much harder than being a director. Other boards have actors that plug us the directors and say something like "Work with this director he knows what he's doing, he was so kind." I would love to learn about all the positive and negative things serious actors think about when it comes to collaborating with a director. I see it and respect it as an art form. These people have spent so many years honing their craft and have decided to make a living out of their talent. They're not to be overlooked.

I think if you can fit these type of classes or seminars in your schedule, you should go for it!

Last edited:
I've never taken a real acting class, but I have participated in workshops and seminars. I also browse through actors forums. It's just as important for a sound designer, and especially a dialog editor or a Foley walker, to get into the idea of "character."

That's a great idea actually. I've done acting in my own films before but it doesn't teach you much. I actually want to do the acting for someone else's short film at some point, see what it's like from the other side and grow to understand actors more. If there's small night courses for actors in the area I'm moving to I'd love to take them up

I recommend the workshop taught by Judith Weston (Los Angeles, with some out of town classes). I have both her books on the subject of Directing & rehearsing Actors. The workshop really drove her lessons home. We did several scenes, some very emotional, and also broke-down the scripts and performed acted by the other students.

I originally come from a theatrical background, and have taken several film acting programs. Judith bridges the gap between the Actors & Directors job (I went home better at both).

I think she also has a YouTube Channel.

Rok

Back