Film School on IFC

...a while back someone posted a thread about Project Greenlight and if people were watching it.

My question is: Is anyone watching Film School on IFC? I am finding it interesting as 3 NYU film students try to make their films in time for the First Run Festival(?) at NYU. Last season, they were trying to get it shot. This season is just starting...

...it has been a pretty good show...I know I could not afford to go to NYU for film school...

--spinner :cool:

every time I've turned on IFC lately its been either that silly black & white flick with Bruce Campbell (where they're robbing a bank or something) or some crazy foreign film that I'm not in the mood to read subtitles to see if it's worth watching.

Then again, I've only been home for about 5 days this month.. ;)

Film school Grad

I graduated from NYU film program and didn't learn dam thing. The only thing I learned was how to follow bunch of rules . All of which I brake. For those who didn't get in to the NYUfilm program don't sweat it , just go out and make your movie. :yes:

That's what I said when I first saw it, but I just thought I wasn't seeing enough of the curriculum and that I was just generalizing. Anyway, the people on last season were way too narrow minded in how to make a movie - they were trying to make their little student films like real movies so of course the average cost ran up over $10,000. Making movies by yourself is about breaking rules, not following them...

Well its like I've always said going to film school doesn't make you a filmmaker. Making movies is what makes you a filmmaker. Its a shame I had to go to film school to learn that.

Last edited:
...I think I agree with you all. It is interesting, though. I can't believe that none of these film students tried to find a grant to finance their films. Also, in the first season, they send a 'producer' to find money for the film and the last I heard they made $100 and $20 from Henry Winkler? You know, I am just starting out in this filmmaking thing and even I know that you can't raise funds that way. They 'seemed' to just be driving around Los Angeles, come on!

...I think that we are all stumbling around trying to do what makes the most sense in creating our films and getting our visions out there, but I don't know if I think that they know anymore than we do. And they spent $20,000 to go to film school. Maybe we just didn't see the parts where they were raising money and actually came up with some real funding, far be it from me to second guess someone else's methodology.

...don't they have public access tv stations in NY? That's where I learned to run a camera. Maybe you won't learn techniques there, but you learn some stuff that will bring you along quicker.

...I guess I just thought that there were other ways of doing what they needed to do, but I felt as if they weren't really willing to explore them. (but like I said, maybe we just didn't see that part in the show). I think its showing what it is like for them, but it sure isn't telling anyone how to make a film and gives precious little real info that could be applied to one's situation.

Sundance 'Anatomy Of A Scene'. Now, that is informational...

--spinner :cool:

Funny thing is New York City loves indie filmmakers its very easy to make a film here. The thing I don't understand was in the first season . There was one student who forgot to get a permit for a street scene and he ran in to trouble with the police and had to rush the scene. Heres the thing in NYC permits for indie filmmakers cost next to nothing how can you forget to get permit in this city. That just show me that someone wasn't prepared. Plus if they had shot on a cheaper format they might have saved alot of money

I tried watching the Project Greenlight for a few episodes.

I couldn't just get into seeing the personal sufferings that everyone was willing to bare, for all to see. Reality TV (well, most TV) is not for me, I guess.

_______

I've heard lots of good things about NYC and indie productions. I read an article a short while ago, regarding how Tribecca and Deniro were doing a lot to help the indie-scene there, too. I'll see if I can find it.

I miss NY. :cool:

Zensteve said:
I tried watching the Project Greenlight for a few episodes.

I couldn't just get into seeing the personal sufferings that everyone was willing to bare, for all to see. Reality TV (well, most TV) is not for me, I guess.

_______

I've heard lots of good things about NYC and indie productions. I read an article a short while ago, regarding how Tribecca and Deniro were doing a lot to help the indie-scene there, too. I'll see if I can find it.

I miss NY. :cool:
You mean to tell me your not Gullager fan?
But he can do that sweet thing with his hands and his mouth. That alone will get you the job.

Project Greenlight

:huh: As for Project Greenlight the season I saw they tried to make a horror film keyword here is tried!! Gullager had no control or no idea of what the hell was going on. Plus the script was bad.From what I remember Gullager didn't even storyboard .

Back