• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Personality through speech

There are a few characters that I'm writing that have a few personality traits that I'm struggle to getting across just through speech. I mean, you can only use internet for so much and wikihow has some information but not much.
One of the characters is a sweet, caring girl with an amoral nature beneath that.
One of the characters is a sociopath, to cut a long story short. I'm not good with writing subtle manipulation - full out threatening I can write but not that.
The third is emotional sensitive and easily manipulated but self-confident.
Does anyone have any advice or information? Like the sort of things that they would say or how. I do have an explanation as to why they're like this.
Also how to show two characters with strong libido without fully showing sex?

Remember that screenwriting is a visual medium. While the dialogue is an important piece, the screenwriter wants to develop the personality by displaying how the characters act. This contrasts to novel writing. A lot of new screenwriters think that like plays or novels that dialogue is the most important part ... and it's not. Writing for the screen is primarily visual.

So for your one character, you could have her chatting on the cellphone with a friend being all sweet and innocent while the viewer is watching her shoplift from a store. The conflict of words and deeds provides the contrast you want to portray. Show your character is a sociopath. She doesn't need to say a word.

Screenwriting requires thinking in three dimensions (audio, visual, structural). By structural I mean "What is the purpose of the scene in advancing the story?". A good test for a screenplay is that it should be understandable if you removed all the dialogue.

Back