Do I need a "company" name as a film maker?

I keep having to give a company name when it comes to film making (permits, invoices etc) and this is just mostly me and my brother trying to make films/videos.
We don't have an official name (no point in having one right now) so I'm just giving a random name "pinecone studios"

I'm about to pay a voice actor over paypal and he said he needs my company name.

Do I really need an official company name with a license?

Ty.

Do I need a "company" name as a film maker?

While you don't have a company name, you already have a business name: "pinecone studios"

It's just not registered yet.

Do I really need an official company name with a license?

Legally, it'll depend on your local laws. The answer is usually no but if you want to continue using a business name, it's a good idea to get your paperwork in order.

Do I really need an official company name?
If you want to continue to do business as a company called 'Pinecone Studios' yes.. and you should have already set that up as at least a sole proprietorship (DBA) if you're actively doing business under that name.

LLC would be a bit better, offers you some protection, should your company get sued.. but the simplest form of business is a sole proprietorship. In many states, if the business name has your actual name in it they don't require anything else for registration. If instead you, Jason Bourne, want to do business as pinecone studios, you would have to file with the state, and there's usually a nominal fee involved. Here in Minnesota I believe that fee is $25, then yearly renewals are free unless there's a gap in years it's been renewed.

Short answer: No, you don't need a legal business name. Just stop telling people some BS name, and instead say "I'm a sole proprietor, I do business under my own name."

If you want to use the name "Pinecone Studios", you may want to jump on the train NOW and register the name! A Google search shows multiple "pinecone studio" listings and one 'pinecone studios'(UK). I remember a copyrite lawsuit in the late 70's when the old FilmFair Studios located in "Animation Alley" on Cahuenga Blvd, found a non-competing company in the bay area by the same name. They spent 6 months and about $50k just making life miserable for that little business. it upset so many people that half the directors and A.D.'s bailed and went to television. I know people who weren't allowed to use their own name in their because someone ELSE was using the same name. You might also want to register the domain name before someone grabs it and holds it hostage. This is not a business known for it's integrity. The PEOPLE may have integrity, the studios don't.

Back