Robocop 2014

After seeing this trailer, I had to ask, why bother to make this junk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

Save the arm? Really? The human element over the machine is so 1960s like The Human Factor.

Why not go with the promise of The Singularity? That's why I will skip this one and see The Machine 2014 instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF6l4LAmN8A

It's more with modern times.

Last edited:
There are some good and bad things about this remake. It actually seems a bit better than I expected.

What I didn't like is the choice to go for the black look for the suit, the clips of the grey suit is much better.

What I did like is that in this remake they are changing some details a bit - I like that they program him so that he thinks he's in control of his actions even though he isn't and he manages to fight that programming with his mind. That's a theme I love in stories when a character rises up against control by others and manages to break free.

I like the graphics for the vision mode too.

I will always hold the orignal Robocop in high regard and will always prefer it over the remake no matter if it ends up being great or horrible.

I like remakes that don't copy everything from the original word for word and action by action so already this film has a head start with me but time will tell if I enjoy the remake or not.

In a perfect world I would have preferred to see a new sequel.

A new sequel or new chapter in the life of Robocop would have been better like what was done with Judge Dredd.

The Machine 2014 looks like a much better film on AI, which is what I'm looking forward to seeing.

I dunno. I had the obvious eye-roll reaction when I first heard about a RoboCop remake (and the teaser trailer was pretty bad, tbh), but I'm liking the look of the new trailer and think I'll be giving it a whirl. I just hope they don't try to be too clever with the whole "evil corporation" thing, like the remake of The Manchurian Candidate did - that was just low-hanging fruit all through. I will expect more wit & satire from the new RoboCop.

Moving on... I gotta say, that trailer for The Machine leaves me the impression it's little more than a slasher flick dolled up in a cyborg/future setting. It didn't leave me curious to see more.

Then again, I'm the ass-pony of the film world, so whadda I know? :abduct:

TokenWhiteBoy said:
Is Samuel L Jackson the only black guy in Hollywood?

Yes. All other black actors you think you may have seen, were simply Samuel L Jackson in a mo-cap suit. Weta works wonders.

The Machine does not give me the impression that it will be a slasher film at all. I read the full summary. It's more of a super intelligent super soldier project film making an android instead of a human like a Captain America, Incredible Hulk, or X-File super soldier idea.

It reminds me of some of the better Outer Limits episodes from the 1990s on AI.

Robocop is just being clever with their second trailer. This first trailer is more revealing of what's in store. After opening week, it will tank when people see how dumb and outdated 1960s sci-fi they are trying to be.

Ahhh, MDM, you sure do have a very specific and passionate interest in cyborgs. Cheers to you for having something you're passionate about.

But you're kinda missing the point. This movie doesn't appear to be even slightly about creating the super machine or whatever. Even just based on the trailer, it seems pretty clear that this movie is about the human element reigning supreme. They can add all the artificial intelligence they want, but at the end of the day, the human brain is going to win out.

That was definitely a strong theme in the original movie, but what I seriously doubt this remake will have is all of the satire that we've come to know of a Verhoeven movie. That dude made thrilling movies that found ways to sneak in a TON of social commentary, and I just don't see how this new version can replicate that.

So I plan to watch it with naked eyes, or at least as best as I can. To be honest, I'm just hoping for a cool scifi/action movie that isn't too dumb. :P

Humans will only be developing technology for the next 20 years or so. After that, AI will take over. In 20 years. AI will be as smart as humans. I got it from a good authority in the scientific community that Cray computers are unraveling more and more layers of how the humans brain works where it is becoming less and less of a mystery to science. Once AI starts to make better versions of themselves without human assistance, The Singularity will occurs and technology will be in the hands of AI. As The Machine tells her creator in that trailer, she is part of the new world, which is AI molding the future of technology and humans, and he is part of the old world, which is humans developing AI to the point of making AI self-aware.

Some scientists are warning us today to learn from Frankenstein and nurture AI to feel like they are part of our world and society where they will be our greatest friends in reaching the stars in the exploration of deep space and achieve what we view today as superhuman. The super soldier idea isn't new. And, I would not dismiss it as something being developed behind closed doors in a lab some where.

I read the full summary of The Machine. Look at all of the festivals it was in. It looks like an independent film without studio support that has a brilliant idea for a movie story.

I LOVE remakes/sequels/prequels

Nobody gets upset when they do a new production of a play, with different artists giving their interpretation of the material. With movies, people act outraged, as if the original material is somehow sacred and should never again be revisited by new artists.

This new Robocop looks really cool, and I like the cast. I'm sold.

Nobody gets upset when they do a new production of a play, with different artists giving their interpretation of the material. With movies, people act outraged, as if the original material is somehow sacred and should never again be revisited by new artists.

This new Robocop looks really cool, and I like the cast. I'm sold.

Thank you! Can you imagine if we gave theater the same treatment?

"Ughh, they're making another Macbeth?!"

"Jeez, they're doing Nutcracker again? Barf."

That being said, I will admit that I think most remakes/reboots tend to suck. But every now and then we get a "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", and that makes it all worth while!

In my opinion, the trick to enjoying a remakeboot is to try your best to not compare it to the original. Just watch it with an open mind, and hopefully it will be different but still good (in a different way).

Well the reviews indicate it will be much more than "a slasher flick" like Steve originally thought it would be. Unlike one reviewer, I don't have a problem with a dense science fiction story that feeds a lot of information into a single film. I prefer films like that to a film with too little tech download and story.

I will be looking out for it to see it as soon as possible.

And, while we are talking about The Machine on an open forum, I am still hoping the writer / director got my invitation to join my science fiction movie filmmakers group. With all of the international members who make science fiction and other members who are scientists and engineers, we can help spread the word about your film to help get more DVD and Blu-ray sales.

We even have a member in Germany looking to launch a new Stargate series.

Back