Interview On A Site With a NEGATIVE Review???

Hey All!

Okay, so a lot of the sites out there for reviews of small films like ours really are doing a service in getting the word out on our projects. And, obviously, it's always nice for people to hear about what you're doing. Here's my big question, though - if you get a negative review from a site, but they would like to interview you still, obviously you still take it - news is news. But what, in general, would you do? How would you handle the situation? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thoughts, in general...?

I'm not going to lie getting a free movie is nice but once you get that movie you should watch it with in a day or two and get the review then send out the interview Qs in a day or so as well.

ussinners and aceofspades70 have both sent me a movie for review and then an interview and even tho they did not like the review I gave them (this is what I think, not that I know) I don't think they can say I jurked them around. Asses like that should not have review sites.

As for knowing how films are made I've done a few and know that they aren't easy but as a reviewer we are reviewing the end product and not the drama behind it. If a movie sucks because actors can't get along with each other that is not the reviewers fault. We shouldn't be expected to take that into consideration because the normal person will not be thinking "Hey I wonder if they had enough cash for lighting or if the actors were being dicks."

"ussinners and aceofspades70 have both sent me a movie for review and then an interview and even tho they did not like the review I gave them (this is what I think, not that I know) I don't think they can say I jurked them around. Asses like that should not have review sites. "

The only problem I had is you suggesting that the lead girl in my film gave me sex in order to obtain her role. I believe you stated, "I have to think the only way this chick got the part was because she gave up some pussy or is really good giving head."

I won't proposition females for sex to get a role in my film. But thanks for changing that in your review.

And the "black guy who dies first"? A young white female died first.

Other than that...

Funny how some people do that. I'm starting to think a lot of guys just jump on the "film review bandwagon" just to get get free copies out of people and start their own sites to ramble about them. If half of the reviewers out there had half a clue as to how hard it is to make a movie, they might change their tune.

To paraprase the old adage "Those who can make films, do. Those that can't, get bitter, jaded, and then decide to write reviews." ;)

I sometimes wonder how many film reviewers are the result of having bad experiences with film school.

aceofspades70: Didn't you cut before she died? I know the assumption is she died but the first person we actually see dead is the black dude. As for the actress thing you never did tell us how she got the role, not even in the interview.

Tinalera: You are most likely right but I can tell you I have never been to film school I'm just a dude who is tough on things. As for you adage I laughed.

aceofspades70: Didn't you cut before she died? I know the assumption is she died but the first person we actually see dead is the black dude. As for the actress thing you never did tell us how she got the role, not even in the interview.

Tinalera: You are most likely right but I can tell you I have never been to film school I'm just a dude who is tough on things. As for you adage I laughed.

I meant it tongue in cheek (as opposed to fist in face:D) not meaning to offend. If someone is tough on something, that's fine, I have no problem with that. :) I've known a couple of reviewers who seriously didn't do well in media in school, and decided to become somewhat harsh critics of films.

By the fact you are on these boards, you do at least have an idea of how tough it can to make film, so you have some understanding. I don't mind even critics who are constructive, and explain why they don't like it.
Most "name" critics seem to be able to say "this was a horrid waste of two hours", or stuff to that effect.

The only people I wouldn't do an interview for, are idiots who don't know how to write a review. I didn't mind The Buck's review, even though he didn't like the movie (you SOB). But, he did realize how good the performances were, and the fact that the script wasn't just thrown together in an hour. So, while his taste in movies is questionable :P , he can recognize the good within.

As a general statement, the young girl in the film *SPOILER*

had cellophane wrapped around her head. Her head stopped moving, (you can even see a few strands of her hair blowing from a slight breeze) and then it cut to opening credits. So, she was dead. Asking me if I cut before she died makes me think you didn't pay very close attention.

Just like the other chick who died the same way, just like my "wife" did in the film. (though she did a much better job of being convincing).

As far as the girl who got the lead role, she got it just like everyone else did, she auditioned.

ussinners: I question my taste in movies at times myself LOL. And any word if the lead of the movie has been able to get any more projects? I really hope he does, he was so damn good. And I hope to see more flicks from you in the feature.

aceofspades70: I can't be expected to recall every bit of every movie I watch, especially ones I did not enjoy. And yes your "wife" was much more convincing of being dead.

I can not image that she was the best for that role. Was she the only one that auditioned? I mean your lack of willingness to explain how she got that gig makes me really wonder how she did in fact get it. Is she a friend of yours? It just boggles my mind how someone that bad at acting can get that much screen time even in a low budget film.

Brandon's living in Branson MO for the rest of the year. He does a lot of national touring theater. He enjoys the travel. He should be doing more film work, but for some reason doesn't really try. He is an excellent talent.

aceofspades70: I can't be expected to recall every bit of every movie I watch, especially ones I did not enjoy. And yes your "wife" was much more convincing of being dead.

I can not image that she was the best for that role. Was she the only one that auditioned? I mean your lack of willingness to explain how she got that gig makes me really wonder how she did in fact get it. Is she a friend of yours? It just boggles my mind how someone that bad at acting can get that much screen time even in a low budget film.

My lack of willingness to explain? Is it that big of a deal? No, she's not a friend of mine. Her resume looked good and she actually did well at the audition and better than most. Some couldn't make the schedule, so they couldn't be chosen.

My guess is that she was pissed because the pay was way low. Being a model as well, she probably expected big money.

Believe me, if I would have had more time and money, things would have been different...and next time they will be.

Last edited:
So, I guess long story short - you can do your best with a negative review, but it's understood that you're going to usually, at least at first, take it to heart to some extent.

And something to know is that, as far as having a negative review goes, it's nice to know I'm in ample company... :)

Some of the worst reviews I have gotten were on my best work and I have had A-list filmmakers tell me that.

The answer is to flourish and prosper - make your next film even better than the last.

Don't get held back by someone who can't do.

I would respect the opinion of someone who knew what they were doing, discard the rest.

To paraprase the old adage "Those who can make films, do. Those that can't, get bitter, jaded, and then decide to write reviews."

Also, "Those who can make films, do. Those who can't, teach film."

A friend of mine is flogging a movie called "Birdemic" right now as the worst film ever made, and getting a fair bit of publicity for it. We met the filmmaker at Sundance last year, and my friend Evan got the distributor he works for to pick it up. It's beyond bad, it redefines bad.

I'm sorry but I have to say that the movie Brackish by the company I collaborate with has the worst movie even. I should do a review on and post it.

Any chance I could get his email to see if he would be willing to send me a copy for review?

Back