Thought on sending Screeners

There are thousands of sites and blogs that plug indie films, it could cost a small fortune to send them all a screener or even a DVD-R copy of your movie.

How do you decide which to send to and which to ignore?

If you're like me, I hate reading reviews of a movie I haven't seen. So, I'm starting to search their past reviews for movies I've seen or blog posts for the quality of writing.

I try to see if we have anything in common genre wise. If they hate slasher flicks, it's a waste to send them one.

I'm starting to check if there's comments on their postings.

How many people are subscribers to their posts.

I'll look to see if it's possible to see the traffic coming through their site.

I'll do a google/bing/yahoo search to see if their site appears.

Any other things to add?

Well I'm glad I got you to send me one before you started this!

But seriously I bet it can be very costly for the sender. What I think is a good idea is to have an FTP with you film and then give each person a temp account to get the movie you want out then they can burn it themselves and watch it.

I like to read reviews of movies I haven't heard of/seen because it can really help me decide if the movie is worth watching. That's just me.

You also should keep in mind that there are 1000s of review blogs out there and just because they do not get a ton of comments doesn't mean they don't get viewers. It's people like you that will help blogger grow by sending them stuff to review.

Your idea of seeing if you have things in common is a real good idea. Also look for someone that has a specially as far as movie watching goes. I think I'm a horror buff so I admittedly know more about them than say Romance movies.

Also send movies to well known horror reviewers like Fangoria if you have a horror movie. I know they take and review indie works.

Back