Experience with Film Market Events?

Has anyone ever pitched their film or screenplay at a film market event? What was your experience?

I attended one last year in Nashville and wasn't very impressed. First of all, while pitching our film to distributers and execs at our booth, we were constantly rudely interrupted by impatient filmmakers trying to network and pitch their ideas during our allotted pitch time. Second, there seemed to be a major lack of clarity between what both parties expected from this event. For instance, most of the execs and distributers' first question after you pitched was, "Do you have any famous actors or directors attached to this project?"

It eventually became an annoying question (though a very legitimate one) because you looked around at all the other projects and it was undeniably clear that NO ONE had a big name attached, and it was ridiculous to even assume so. With that said, if we did have a big name attached, I guarantee we wouldn't have attended the film market in the first place. I soon realized that no one had the slightest chance of making a deal.

So it begs the question. Why do these distributers and execs even bother showing up when they have no real intention of making a deal with anyone at the event?

I can't help but come to the conclusion that film market events are just scams.

Has anyone had a different experience? Are there better legit events or are they all pretty much the same?

I have no experience with the one you went to. But the American Film
Market (held in Santa Monica, CA) is specifically for producers with
finished films. Or a proven track record. A “film market” is considered
a place for producers to sell their product to distributors. But many
filmmakers believe (or hope) these are pitch fests. There is a difference.
So it begs the question. Why do these distributers and execs even bother showing up when they have no real intention of making a deal with anyone at the event?
Are you sure that no distributor or exec made a deal at this event? Perhaps
the distributors were looking for finished films and the execs were looking
for packaged deals. Perhaps you didn't have what they were looking for.

... if we did have a big name attached, I guarantee we wouldn't have attended the film market in the first place.
That would be a poor decision. If you had a name attached a film market is
exactly where you need to be. Getting distributors to bid on your project
raises the prices and is good for you. Having a package is your best bet when
attending a film market.

I can't help but come to the conclusion that film market events are just scams.

Has anyone had a different experience? Are there better legit events or are they all pretty much the same?
Many of them are. They get the hopeful to pay money to attend. It's shocking
how many people have truly bad screenplays, films and pitches. But are willing
to pay to try to sell them.

A “legit” event is one where you get to do what is advertised. Did you get in front
of execs? Then it's legit. Just because they wanted what you didn't have or other
people were rude, doesn't mean it was not legit. I don't know for sure and I could
be off base here because you have offered very little information, but it could be
that YOU went in with less understanding of the event than you should have.

If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance.

What, exactly are you looking for in an event like this?

Back