What this means

Something Cameraman on my next film has mentioned 'what do you want each scene to say'...Kind of have an idea what he means, but what's everyone else's take on this. Is it to do with tone of scene etc???

Is it to do with tone of scene etc?

It could be. It also might not be. Questions like this need to be decoded within the context of the conversation and within the context of the person asking it. Why didn't you ask your cameraman what he means?

It could be. It also might not be. Questions like this need to be decoded within the context of the conversation and within the context of the person asking it. Why didn't you ask your cameraman what he means?

it was a passing comment when mentioning what he wants on our agenda for our Production Meeting tomorrow, were everything will be explained and spoke about....Was just curious if this was 'cameraman speak' and meant something set in stone...

It has to do with the writing and with moving the story forward. Each scene is supposed to do that. Saves time and money to cut scenes without shooting them you don't need.

essentially yes.. but each scene should tell a story. if you're only progressing a story then it's going to feel like work to the audience.

Was just curious if this was 'cameraman speak' and meant something set in stone...

AFAIK it isn't. As Filman mentioned, it is more writer/director language as in "Who's scene is it" or "What's the core of this scene" etc.

It could as simple as him trying to work out if you understand/have a plan for each scene. It could be an inexperienced cameraman attempting to use lingo. He could be attempting to communicate to you in terms you may understand better.

It's also about what the scene is saying about the characters. So he is probably asking about choices of lighting, framing shots, set design, color palate, costume design, etc., etc., etc.

I ask this question of my clients and often get a blank stare (or the email, phone-call, etc., equivalent). It's all about creating a complete believable world both visually and sonically, enhancing the characters and their motivations, and moving the story forward.

Back