• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A New Sketch! Please Give Feedback

Thanks! Glad you're liking them. Not to be that person, but if you find 'em funny sharing it around with some other people who might enjoy them, would be more helpful than you know.

You've got to do something about the plain white wall behind the couch.
nothing screams unprofessional like a blank white wall (it's one of the reasons you see wallpaper so frequently in hollywood films)

funny stuff

"Gotta dip, see ya later"

What regional vernacular is this? Or did I hear it wrong?

Keep up the good work! I could see this developing into a cool little underground series. The more you do, the better they will get.

Lol no.

However must be a west coast saying, no one here says "gotta dip."

Not bad. Keep at it, and watch the audio levels... the music
seemed a bit loud, unless it's meant to be that way.

Good writing, and I love how detailed you were on some of the props and set design. I agree with sfoster that the white wall needs to be broken up. I'd also pull the couch off the wall a bit. Add some physical depth (which would also allow for some easier set dressing back there).

Strange disparity between camera perspective between first and second shots. The 2-shot is just a tad too low, but then the 1-shot is looking slightly down. It's... weird. Find a happy medium. The camera doesn't need to come up much at all on the 2-shot, but the 1-shot needs to come down to match it.

Sound, dude. You gotta work on the sound. The camera mic stuff is distracting. Believe it or not, visuals that are a little rough around the edges will be perceived as worse with bad sound, but perceived as passable if the sound is on point. It'll also make edits not seem as abrupt.

Ditto. Sound is what separates "productions" from "home videos." This is roomy and sounds like you used in-camera sound, like on someone's home movie. In a production we want that pro sound. Image is always manipulated and stylized, so even poor video is forgiven when it is coupled with pro sound. It also holds a perceived value, meaning, when you hear good sound, you unconsciously value it a more professional production, but poor sound spells amateur and takes you out of it.

Thanks for all the feedback, sound is always something that makes me nervous, cause I agree that it's actually way more important in terms of professionalism than visuals. The human mind is much more aware of discrepencies in sound than it is in images. I'm looking at upgrading from my low quality shotgun mic to some lav mics, so I can be sure to capture consistent quality dialogue. Any suggestions from more expreinced sound people?

Even though you used a shotgun it sounded roomy meaning the sound was bouncing of the back wall, if you took the suggestions of fixing up the plain white wall you can also deaden and soften the sound at the same time. But I'll let the pros chime in.

I'm looking at upgrading from my low quality shotgun mic to some lav mics, so I can be sure to capture consistent quality dialogue. Any suggestions from more expreinced sound people?

Lavs can be much more trouble than they're worth if you don't have much experience.

Probably the most common error is mic placement, and the second most common is mic selection. These are the two things that matter most.

Get the mic off the top of your camera. Put it on a boom pole and get it as close as you can without dipping into the picture. Placement is huge, and the closer you are the more of the direct sound you record in relation to the sound of the room (reflections, background sounds). You're also gonna get a better recording level. When you have to raise the volume of a low-level recording in post, especially if you're using in-cam sound that pretty much sucks, you're amplifying self noise from terrible pre-amps.

Booming the mic also allows the mic to move to follow dialog, and it allows the mic to point at the people instead of at the wall or straight toward the background so that you aren't recording as much of the acoustic crap that tends to get in the way.

Shotgun mics are great in lots of situations, but they have a weak spot. I could bore you with lots of tech-speak about interference tubes, phase cancellation, and comb filtering, but the simple version is that the thing that makes shotguns really good at rejecting sounds to the sides and rear, is the same thing that makes them terrible in really echoey rooms. For those situations, a hypercardioid (small diaphragm condenser) can sound more natural.

The other thing that may help, not knowing which camera you use, is to record sound separately - to a dedicated sound recorder - and match it to the video in post. A dedicated sound recorder does just that: it records sound. You'll get better quality all around.

Back