How do you entertain yourself while editing?

Especially while editing sound... my god, I'm a procrastinator... I'm procrastinating just by typing this post....

I'm in the same boat, the audio's important but can be a pain. Try to do something different/creative on it to make it more than just a slog.
I've found that when I'm not into working, it doesn't come out too good & I usually find a better way to go later. Sometimes you have to take a little break. Clear your mind, take a walk, exercise, do a chore. Try to find something good to watch, read, or listen to. If it's really good it might inspire you.
If it really has to get done, strong Vietnamese ice coffee will get you hopped up! :)

snoop-dogg-studio-bush.jpg

Man, all I seem to do is clear my mind, take walks, etc.

This tells me that sound is not your thing. That's your subconscience trying to avoid work that does not fulfill you at all. That's not a bad thing, just something to note and a reason to try and team up with someone who IS about sound, who DOES find satisfaction in sound editing/design/mixing.

I have the same issue, but with motion graphics.

I hate ADR.... but it's done... finally... now onto foley, sound effects, another character's ADR vocalizations, and probably 5 more passes at each because nothing is ever perfect

Taking a break for 10 to 15 minutes are great. I am so lucky right now since i am having Switch right now. Just take it and play for 15 minutes is fantastic.

I try to tackle sound design like it's a landscape. I lay down a foundation of ambient sounds or room tunes. Next comes the farthest sounds that are part of the environment. From there I work closer with foley and sound effects, then dialogue.

Since I'm building an audio landscape it's always exciting as the film comes to life with each layer and pass. As AcousticAl said, if you are resisting it, then it may not be for you. You may need to work with a sound editor.

- Wolf

One way to get around it is to imagine the final product the way the sound should be and work the steps to get there. If you want entertainment, it cannot be more monotonous than setting up a new computer. Hours of updates is very boring. I watch movies while the computer is working. I pop a movie disc in the Blu-ray drive and it will play even as the computer is updating. That helps to pass the time.

During render time I sometimes play guitar or just handle email or visit IT :P
But when I have to work and sound is involved: no entertainment, but the job itself.
While masking in AE: music!!!

I have no problem entertaining myself during regular editing. But with sound, I can't have anything else making sound distract me... so it increases procrastination time.

Here's a quick view of my process as a one-man-band.

I import the OMF and the video into Pro Tools and check sync.

I watch (usually for the first time) and I make my notes. Then I have discussions with the director. Next I do my cue sheets and contact the composer.

Finally, I get to start being "creative…"

I start with the dialog; this allows me to become more familiar with the characters in a hurry. First I organize the Alt Takes, ADR (if any) and Wilds (if any). Then I do the dialog edit/clean-up and really build the characters. I really work at getting it to "sing" all on it's own with just room tone. Now that I'm into the characters I work on the Foley. I start with building my shoes, cloth and props collection and try a few tests. Now, I'm not a real Foley artist, so I do one character at a time all the way through so I can stay in character - footsteps, cloth props, etc. (There are caveats, of course….) Then I work on Sound Effects. I create everything that I can, then raid my personal library, then go hunting on Sound Dogs, etc.

As I complete sections I pull them into a "master" file/session to insure that everything is working together and make some preliminary mix decisions - what to pre-mix, etc.

Then I drop in the music cues and mix.

Keep that in mind, audio post isn't a chore, it's a chance to be creative.

I second what Buscando said. It can be helpful to try a creative angle or to intentionally create a state of flow by working right at the bleeding edge of your abilities. Flow definitely makes the time zoom by if you can get there. Also, especially with sound work, taking short breaks out of the headphones keeps your ears fresh.

I drink beer, smoke a lot of cigarettes, swear a lot, chew my fingernails as far as they'll go, listen to loud music, and curse the day I decided to do my own editing.

I'd probably punch a dolphin if one was nearby, as well.

Back