Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #91
buscando
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: L.A.
Posts: 727
-You've probably seen a lot of movies, CF. So there is probably at least one movie you & James Cameron would disagree on. If he's your ultimate authority, I guess you'd change your opinion. But at some point, other people will make more money than Cameron & some will disagree with him. Do you keep changing your opinion based on who keeps making more money? Or do you stick with what you really feel personally about the movie?

I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I'm trying to show you how you & directorik are both right. Movie opinions can be equal & unequal. It depends on the situation. Your view of things works for you & your situation. That doesn't mean it's the only view & the best view to have for everyone else.

Disagreeing opinions don't always mean that one opinion isn't worth listening to. It depends on the situation.
Sometimes any opinion is equal to the opinion of an ultimate authority. It depends on the situation.
Measuring a person's value by whether they disagree with you or not isn't always an accurate way to assess them.
Accomplishments don't always make someone's opinions better than others. It depends on the situation.
When people disagree & they try to make their case, it doesn't always mean someone's right or wrong. It doesn't always mean it's a personal attack. Things aren't that simple.

If we can be objective, & recognize that each person's situation is different & their view can be just as valid because of their situation, it helps us understand things better & keep things light. I hope you can do this at some point so we can continue our discussion.

Last edited by buscando; 01-14-2018 at 01:54 PM.
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 01-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #92
Cracker Funk
Basic Member
 
Cracker Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Also noneofyourbusiness
Posts: 9,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
-You've probably seen a lot of movies, CF. So there is probably at least one movie you & James Cameron would disagree on. If he's your ultimate authority, I guess you'd change your opinion. But at some point, other people will make more money than Cameron & some will disagree with him. Do you keep changing your opinion based on who keeps making more money? Or do you stick with what you really feel personally about the movie?

I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I'm trying to show you how you & directorik are both right. Movie opinions can be equal & unequal. It depends on the situation. Your view of things works for you & your situation. That doesn't mean it's the only view & the best view to have for everyone else.

Disagreeing opinions don't always mean that one opinion isn't worth listening to. It depends on the situation.
Sometimes any opinion is equal to the opinion of an ultimate authority. It depends on the situation.
Measuring a person's value by whether they disagree with you or not isn't always an accurate way to assess them.
Accomplishments don't always make someone's opinions better than others. It depends on the situation.
When people disagree & they try to make their case, it doesn't always mean someone's right or wrong. It doesn't always mean it's a personal attack. Things aren't that simple.

If we can be objective, & recognize that each person's situation is different & their view can be just as valid because of their situation, it helps us understand things better & keep things light. I hope you can do this at some point so we can continue our discussion.
I've definitely seen lots of movies. So has James Cameron. And there's one thing I am confident that he and I would both agree on. T2 is the best fucking movie of all time, no questions asked. Except for maybe Avatar. Those movies never get old.

And there's no such thing as objectivity, don't be silly. And I never said anyone's opinion is better than anyone else's. I choose my words carefully. And if this fucking website would stop emailing me I could stay away from it. Let's do that, please.
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #93
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
And if this fucking website would stop emailing me I could stay away from it. Let's do that, please.
Go to THREAD TOOLS at the top of this page and unsubscribe.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #94
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator
 
sfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,238
In your user control panel on the left hand side click Edit options

That takes you to a page that lists a "Default Thread Subscription Mode" you can change it so you don't get emails when you subscribe to threads. That's what I do, then I use the handy quick links -> subscribed threads function when I want to update one of my regular threads
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #95
buscando
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: L.A.
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
I never said anyone's opinion is better than anyone else's. I choose my words carefully.
You said "some people's opinions aren't worth listening to. They do not matter."
Those do mean the same thing.
Quote:
...there's no such thing as objectivity
From that, I can see we'll continue to disagree, which is okay.

I'm pretty sure your disabled account means you won't see this, so I don't have to worry about you feeling powerless to leave the discussion. If you decide to come back I'd welcome your thoughts, especially if you could please give a more direct answer to my last question.
I hope you feel better soon.
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #96
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
If you decide to come back I'd welcome your thoughts
I emailed him that he is welcome back, his decision to deactivate was his own, but I think he just needs a break. The internet can get to us all!
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #97
buscando
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: L.A.
Posts: 727
Good to hear.
Why do you think it was hard for him to ignore the discussion?
If you get an email alert on a cel phone, is it hard to delete it without reading it?
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #98
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,612
I think at this point move on.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #99
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator
 
sfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
I think at this point move on.
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #100
buscando
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: L.A.
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
I think at this point move on.
Does this mean we can still talk about The Disaster Artist?
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 PM   #101
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,612
I wonder about you man.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #102
buscando
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: L.A.
Posts: 727
I mean unrelated to CF.
So that means no?

Last edited by buscando; 01-15-2018 at 11:26 PM.
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:47 AM   #103
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator
 
sfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,238
Unless this thread is closed you may continue talking about the disaster artist.
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #104
Quality
Basic Member
 
Quality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 943
I took a shot at it and as I said I lost a couple of brain cells. Even more cringy than the original.
Quality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #105
buscando
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: L.A.
Posts: 727
You mean you liked The Room more than Disaster Artist?
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk