The Disaster Artist

You are so incredibly wrong on one opinion, cuz I'm not a world leading expert on anything haha :)
Seriously though, I don't think I'm asking you questions you've already answered, but I'll defer to your judgement.
If you were there during The Room's production, do you think you'd know that Tommy's opinion mattered more than the other more experienced members of the crew who disagreed with him?

You are so incredibly wrong on one opinion, cuz I'm not a world leading expert on anything haha :)
Seriously though, I don't think I'm asking you questions you've already answered, but I'll defer to your judgement.
If you were there during The Room's production, do you think you'd know that Tommy's opinion mattered more than the other more experienced members of the crew who disagreed with him?

I feel like we've discussed this to death, but to answer your question, yes, Wiseau's opion definitely mattered more than anyone else's on that production, because he was signing their checks.

I'm all about collaboration. On any of my productions, I go out of my way to get other people's ideas. But at the end of the day, there's one person in charge. That'd be the producer. So yes, by definition, Wiseau's opinion was more important than anyone else's on the production of "The Room".

And they made money. I feel like this should be a really simple concept for anyone to understand. Why are we still talking about this?

Theatre near me didn't show The Disaster Artist

but the other day they had The Room.

WHat. The. Hell.

Sorry if I'm annoying, CF. I can be obsessive sometimes when I analyze a topic. But each answer helps to clarify your views & how they relate to each other. My questions may seem unnecessary but sometimes things that are clear to you aren't so clear to others. I'll try to ask better questions. I want to have a fun nice interesting discussion with you & not take things so seriously. I'm grateful for the insight you've given so far. But I completely understand if you're not enjoying the discussion & decide to stop.

-I can see how Tommy's opinions "mattered more" to the crew than their own opinions cuz he was paying them & they had to do what he said. But what if you weren't part of the crew & you were just watching the disagreements during the production. Do you think you would have agreed with Tommy's decisions, or the crew's?

-On the opinion about people's movie opinions being unequal, which opinion matters more, yours or directorik's?

-On the opinion about people's movie opinions being unequal, which opinion matters more, yours or directorik's?

Lol, you're a button-pusher! Which one of us got a theatrical release on a 10K budget? I'm tired of bragging. I don't want to do it any more. This is the last time I answer any of your questions because all of your questions force me to brag about what I've done, which is more than anything anyone else on this forum has done. You want some advice? I can give it to you.

Please stop forcing me me to be confrontational. I do not want to talk about the success my movies have seen. I take zero joy in stating that I'm somehow better than another person, so let's just please end this.

Every person with an opinion is a potential paying audience member. Listening to and valuing everyone's opinions on what makes a movie that they like to see and contrasting that with your own tastes is what makes you a more financially successful filmmaker.

Roger Ebert might be telling me to watch the latest Meryl Streep film and it might be an objectively better film than Transmorphers 4 that the homeless guy and the crackhead are raving about. But that doesn't mean you will like it anymore than Transmorphers 4 and it doesn't mean it will make more money than Transmorphers 4.

Everyone's opinion is just an opinion. Sometimes your tastes align and sometimes they don't. I hated Avatar as well. If I met a homeless man who hated Avatar and loved Children of Men I might be more inclined to trust his tastes to inform what I might like than James Cameron - even though James Cameron is a significantly more experienced and accomplished filmmaker than the homeless man (who might not even be interested in making films at all).

As for James Franco blocking Tommy Wiseau from speaking, I thought it was a bit of a dick move too. I thought he'd at least give him 30 seconds to talk. Instead, it felt a bit like 'this is my movie you talentless hack, you wouldn't even be here without me'

CF, I'm sorry to directorik, you, & everyone if they feel offended by what I asked. That was a provocative question, but it wasn't my intention to provoke confrontation. You said you were tired of talking about it, so I felt I had to try to ask a question that got to the point quickly as opposed to asking several more questions that were sensitive to everyone's feelings.

It's my guess directorik doesn't really feel bad about you saying you're more qualified than him, because he disagrees with your opinion anyway. I think he believes his opinion is equal to yours even if your film had made $10 million more than his. You & I might've made some playful jabs but I don't think we really wish bad things on each other, right? I certainly don't.

I don't think it's bragging when you say your credits. I just see it as evidence to support your opinion. I'm looking at your opinions as ideas that can be analyzed with logic & reasoning from different angles. Sometimes studying an opposing opinion is more interesting because it lets me see things from another perspective. I try to separate myself & my emotions from those ideas because sometimes emotions can keep you from making good assessments. So if people here can do that, I think we can reach a better understanding.

Thank you for the answers you gave. I really do appreciate it & I hope we can continue to have other discussions in the future. I know you said you won't answer any more, but I really would like to get your answer on this one if you ever feel like coming back to it later. Thanks again.

-I can see how Tommy's opinions "mattered more" to the crew than their own opinions cuz he was paying them & they had to do what he said. But what if you weren't part of the crew & you were just watching the disagreements during the production. Do you think you would have agreed with Tommy's decisions, or the crew's?

CF, I'm sorry to directorik, you, & everyone if
they feel offended by what I asked. That was a provocative question,
but it wasn't my intention to provoke confrontation. You said you were
tired of talking about it, so I felt I had to try to ask a question
that got to the point quickly as opposed to asking several more
questions that were sensitive to everyone's feelings.

It's my guess directorik doesn't really feel bad about you saying
you're more qualified than him, because he disagrees with your opinion
anyway. I think he believes his opinion is equal to yours even if your
film had made $10 million more than his. You & I might've made some
playful jabs but I don't think we really wish bad things on each
other, right? I certainly don't.

I don't think it's bragging when you say your credits. I just see it
as evidence to support your opinion. I'm looking at your opinions as
ideas that can be analyzed with logic & reasoning from different
angles. Sometimes studying an opposing opinion is more interesting
because it lets me see things from another perspective. I try to
separate myself & my emotions from those ideas because sometimes
emotions can keep you from making good assessments. So if people here
can do that, I think we can reach a better understanding.

Thank you for the answers you gave. I really do appreciate it & I hope
we can continue to have other discussions in the future. I know you
said you won't answer any more, but I really would like to get your
answer on this one if you ever feel like coming back to it later.
Thanks again.

-I can see how Tommy's opinions "mattered more" to the crew than their
own opinions cuz he was paying them & they had to do what he said. But
what if you weren't part of the crew & you were just watching the
disagreements during the production. Do you think you would have
agreed with Tommy's decisions, or the crew's?

No apologies necessary, buscando. directorik and I go back. We've
never met in real life, but he and I have quite the history on this
forum. And I think he knows I have the utmost respect for everything
he does. I've made this explicitly clear, many times. I know his real
name, by the way. He once almost made a documentary about me. We're
good. :)

And I'd like to point out that I don't believe I'm more of an expert
than he is. He and I have different priorities in life. He and and I
have discussed this in past threads. I have an all-or-nothing
mentality when it comes to filmmaking. I don't want to make money
getting paid to use my camera on a reality show. That's just not my
thing. I explored the possibility of it, but it's not for me. It works
for directorik and that's good. He's good at it and enjoys doing it,
so far as I know. But I'm good at serving people food. I'm REALLY good
at doing that. And so my plan, the one that works for me, is to
continue working in the restaurant biz while also pursuing my
filmmaking goals. Basically, I plan on hitting one out the ballpark
with my next feature film. If that doesn't happen -- fine; I'm pretty
sure I'll have fun trying.

If we go back to the discussion of Wiseau, no, as an outsider, I don't
think he made any good decisions on that film. Except for one -- he
made it.

I'm a yelper. But I'm not one of those yelpers who tears every place
apart. For the most part, I only give positive reviews, which means I
only yelp a few restaurants per year, cuz I just don't feel like
hating on anybody. Except for rare occasion; I'll do it if a
restaurant REALLY pisses me off.

Yes, I'll agree with you and basically everyone in the world -- "The
Room" is a shitty movie. But as a tiny-budget filmmaker, I have
intimate knowledge of the struggles one must go through to not just
get a movie made but also to get it seen. "The Room" has been seen by
SO MANY MORE people than either mine or directorik's feature films.
Think on that.

Very cool CF, thanks for that.
Again, please try to separate yourself & look at this objectively so that you don't feel so much that it's hating.
I'm not interested in making anyone hate on any film or filmmaker. That's mostly irrelevant to what I'm trying to get at.
Is it okay for us to continue?

-So if you agree with the crew that Tommy made bad decisions during the production, then you disagree with Tommy's opinions, even though he's made more money than you.
Does that mean your opinion & the crew's opinions weren't worth listening to?

-You've probably seen a lot of movies, CF. So there is probably at least one movie you & James Cameron would disagree on. If he's your ultimate authority, I guess you'd change your opinion. But at some point, other people will make more money than Cameron & some will disagree with him. Do you keep changing your opinion based on who keeps making more money? Or do you stick with what you really feel personally about the movie?

I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I'm trying to show you how you & directorik are both right. Movie opinions can be equal & unequal. It depends on the situation. Your view of things works for you & your situation. That doesn't mean it's the only view & the best view to have for everyone else.

Disagreeing opinions don't always mean that one opinion isn't worth listening to. It depends on the situation.
Sometimes any opinion is equal to the opinion of an ultimate authority. It depends on the situation.
Measuring a person's value by whether they disagree with you or not isn't always an accurate way to assess them.
Accomplishments don't always make someone's opinions better than others. It depends on the situation.
When people disagree & they try to make their case, it doesn't always mean someone's right or wrong. It doesn't always mean it's a personal attack. Things aren't that simple.

If we can be objective, & recognize that each person's situation is different & their view can be just as valid because of their situation, it helps us understand things better & keep things light. I hope you can do this at some point so we can continue our discussion.

Last edited:
-You've probably seen a lot of movies, CF. So there is probably at least one movie you & James Cameron would disagree on. If he's your ultimate authority, I guess you'd change your opinion. But at some point, other people will make more money than Cameron & some will disagree with him. Do you keep changing your opinion based on who keeps making more money? Or do you stick with what you really feel personally about the movie?

I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I'm trying to show you how you & directorik are both right. Movie opinions can be equal & unequal. It depends on the situation. Your view of things works for you & your situation. That doesn't mean it's the only view & the best view to have for everyone else.

Disagreeing opinions don't always mean that one opinion isn't worth listening to. It depends on the situation.
Sometimes any opinion is equal to the opinion of an ultimate authority. It depends on the situation.
Measuring a person's value by whether they disagree with you or not isn't always an accurate way to assess them.
Accomplishments don't always make someone's opinions better than others. It depends on the situation.
When people disagree & they try to make their case, it doesn't always mean someone's right or wrong. It doesn't always mean it's a personal attack. Things aren't that simple.

If we can be objective, & recognize that each person's situation is different & their view can be just as valid because of their situation, it helps us understand things better & keep things light. I hope you can do this at some point so we can continue our discussion.

I've definitely seen lots of movies. So has James Cameron. And there's one thing I am confident that he and I would both agree on. T2 is the best fucking movie of all time, no questions asked. Except for maybe Avatar. Those movies never get old.

And there's no such thing as objectivity, don't be silly. And I never said anyone's opinion is better than anyone else's. I choose my words carefully. And if this fucking website would stop emailing me I could stay away from it. Let's do that, please.

In your user control panel on the left hand side click Edit options

That takes you to a page that lists a "Default Thread Subscription Mode" you can change it so you don't get emails when you subscribe to threads. That's what I do, then I use the handy quick links -> subscribed threads function when I want to update one of my regular threads

I never said anyone's opinion is better than anyone else's. I choose my words carefully.
You said "some people's opinions aren't worth listening to. They do not matter."
Those do mean the same thing.
...there's no such thing as objectivity
From that, I can see we'll continue to disagree, which is okay.

I'm pretty sure your disabled account means you won't see this, so I don't have to worry about you feeling powerless to leave the discussion. If you decide to come back I'd welcome your thoughts, especially if you could please give a more direct answer to my last question.
I hope you feel better soon.

If you decide to come back I'd welcome your thoughts

I emailed him that he is welcome back, his decision to deactivate was his own, but I think he just needs a break. The internet can get to us all!

Good to hear.
Why do you think it was hard for him to ignore the discussion?
If you get an email alert on a cel phone, is it hard to delete it without reading it?

I think at this point move on.

tumblr_mlfdngtSdz1rskk8io7_500.gif

Back