Steady/Glidecam options for Canon 60D, $150 budget

Yes, I know this is tough, but I just don't have the money for a Glidecam. Not right now. We are looking for something to give us smooth shots with a Canon 60D and the Hague MMC Mimi-Motion Cam Stabilizer would be perfect, but it cannot handle the weight of a DSLR with battery and lens.

The Hague DSLR Motion-Cam has far too many bad reviews in regards to its cheapness to go with and it's too pricey anyway.

So... Advice? Choices? Is there anything out there that will not cost us an arm and a leg?

We do see the Lensse MidX Steady Cam Steadicam Stabilizer on eBay (looks like a Hague copy), but I am unable to find reviews or video footage examples (other than the video posted on the eBay auction). It states up to 9kg or 2 pounds, but I am not sure of the Canon 60D with battery and lens comes in at that or is slightly heavier. Price is right, despite ludicrous shipping costs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Budget is $150, though I can try to get it up to $200.

The Hague DSLR Motion-Cam has far too many bad reviews in regards to its cheapness to go with and it's too pricey anyway.

Then I think you either need to increase your budget or be prepared to settle for less. The weight of camera bodies, batteries and lenses are all listed online, so you should be able to work out the weight easily. Maybe you'd be better off hiring equipment for a short period?

Max budget can be $200 and I need to try to avoid that.

On e-bay I am seeing the U-Flycam and also the Flycam3000 (a Glidecam clone). Both look to had for under 2 bills.

I used to own a glidecam and found it to be impossible to balance. I could get close, but I would always have some turn in it when moving quickly. Drove me nuts to the point where I sold it.

Now I suppose I could go for the Flycam and try again, but I don't want to drive myself insane. :yes:

Unfortunately, I do see that no matter what, people say both items are only so so after they use them a lot.

One option is to buy something like this:

http://vimeo.com/14235707

That's the SteadDSLR. Looks solid enough.

So I use it and then when I am done, put it on eBay and (hopefully) make most of my money back because it is absolutely out of my price range. I can borrow from Peter to pay Paul, I suppose.

EDIT: There are also DIY options. But I'm not mechanical. I can build a computer, but pipes and ball bearings and joints, not so much.

Last edited:
I just ordered this. For $40 (there is $10 shipping) it looks worth the risk considering how good the footage is on those YouTube clips. Should it turn out to be an epic fail, I'll just stick it on eBay.

Thanks for the link!

Let us know how it handles. Might be worth having if it's a steal for the price. I just don't seem to be able to tell by the video.

Also just noticed there is no international postage. Drats.

Last edited:
so ah.. how do you work the focus ring on your dslr when using a steadicam thingy?

Thanks

I know of a guy who build his own remote-operated focus motor and gears that grip onto the lens' focus ring, but I don't have that kind of construction ability and I'd bet a commercial system costs an arm and a leg.

Back