In the field monitor options

Hello!

I was wondering what everybody uses for an in-the-field monitor? I own an EX3 but really dislike the lcd screen that it has and am looking to buy something additional. I was looking at the small HD ones, which I love, but I'm wondering if I could just buy like a $700-1,000 HDTV (>32") and use it mainly for framing and for clients to watch. If a HDTV would work, are there any that you personally would suggest? I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Brett

Im dragging along a 28" Monitor w/ HDMI connections on my next shoot. Im using a T2i so only std def
while shooting but will be able to play back in HD, good enough for me. I got it from Tiger direct for $300 approx.

We use a 24" 1080P Computer monitor for a Director's monitor, with a DVI to HDMI cable.

If you're looking for an on-camera monitor, I can suggest a good one too. The Lilliput is great, from coollcd.com. There's a group buy price I can tell you how to get. If interested PM me. We just used it for the first time on our last shoot and everyone loved it.

You should be fine with something along the lines of an LCD tv/screen for clients and such. For your own on-camera monitor (should you want one), take advantage of the hd-sdi out if you can.

Alternatively, these are awesome. They're spendy but almost ubiquitous on shows that I have worked.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BT_LH1710_BT_LH1710W_17_Widescreen_HD_SD.html

Since you already have an EX-3, this would really compliment your package nicely. Also, clients will see it as a piece of specialty gear rather than a tv or pc screen put into service. That is if they stop being dumbfounded at how awesome the image looks. ;) Definitely a significant investment, but they are built to handle the rigors of constant production, come with some handy tools (really, the waveform is worth at least 1/4 of the price), can be run off DC power, and will last quite a while.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses! I just noticed in my original post I had >32", however, I meant smaller than 32". I like the idea of an on-camera monitor but to get a decent one (better than the one already on the ex3) I would need to spend a lot more than what I can justify (at this current time). Anyways, thanks again for the input and I will post back once I decide on a product.

Until then,

Keep on rockin'!

Back