• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sony Vegas Problem

I just got Sony Vegas 9 Pro in the mail today and I have to say I am pissed off beyond all belief. I looked at the basic tutorial and said okay, this is pretty simple. Then I tried adding a video clip of my movie. This clip has sound in every other media player, but not sony vegas. I add the video to the timeline, click play, and no sound. It plays fine, but there is no sound. Also, there is no sound in the audio track part of the timeline. One would think that some form of audio track would appear in the timeline when you add a video clip that has sound in it. If anybody could please help me with this problem, I'm sure it's very basic because there is no way sony vegas expects you to record through a mic and sync every single one of your videos to its separate audio track.

Is the audio, on the clip you are using, in a codec that Vegas recognises?

Did you hit a mute option, or possibly set to solo another empty audio track?

Just ideas. :hmm: Never used Vegas.

I am positive that I didn't set another empty track to solo and nothing is on mute, I just double checked too. As far as what codec the audio in the clip I used, I don't know. I've never been a technical person. All I know about the clip in Sony Vegas is that it is in a MPEG-2 format. Is there some way I can tell what codec the clip's audio is in?

Vegas is my editing suite of choice for it's ease of use and versatility, so this should be something simple. Not to be funny, but did you scroll down a bit and see if the audio was placed on another track? The other option is that you may have a seperate audio file, but this is usually done when rendering for DVD Architect (MPEG2). Did you try importing by dragging the file from its folder onto the timeline? If not and you did the Browse method, it's possible that it may have imported only a video file, check to see if you have two files in that Folder, one might be MPEG2 (video file), the other might be ACC-3 which is an usio file. It depends on what program you originally used to create the video. I'm just throwing out ideas, I've never had that problem with Vegas. Vegas was originally a sound editor, so it should recognize any audio files you'll encounter.

Last edited:
Vegas is my editing suite of choice for it's ease of use and versatility, so this should be something simple. Not to be funny, but did you scroll down a bit and see if the audio was placed on another track? The other option is that you may have a seperate audio file, but this is usually done when rendering for DVD Architect (MPEG2). Did you try importing by dragging the file from its folder onto the timeline? If not and you did the Browse method, it's possible that it may have imported only a video file, check to see if you have two files in that Folder, one might be MPEG2 (video file), the other might be ACC-3 which is an usio file. It depends on what program you originally used to create the video. I'm just throwing out ideas, I've never had that problem with Vegas. Vegas was originally a sound editor, so it should recognize any audio files you'll encounter.

I used the browse method to import the video. The clips are right from me camera and I have not edited them yet. I'll try and take the clip straight from my file manager and drag it into the timeline instead. That must be the problem. I am in school now and have work until 9:30 after this so I will let you know when I try tonight. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Ah ok, I'm at work right now (full time job) so I don't have my Vegas opened, but it sounds like you need to do a video capture. I forget where exactly it is but's under the same thing Import, look for Capture and go through those steps, it'll work fine then. Don't do the Browse method, you need to actually Capture the video/audio file. Vegas will convert the file into what it recognizes and place the audio track where it belongs.

Ah ok, I'm at work right now (full time job) so I don't have my Vegas opened, but it sounds like you need to do a video capture. I forget where exactly it is but's under the same thing Import, look for Capture and go through those steps, it'll work fine then. Don't do the Browse method, you need to actually Capture the video/audio file. Vegas will convert the file into what it recognizes and place the audio track where it belongs.

Please tell me that I don't have to capture from the camcorder. Once I put the files onto my computer I deleted them from my camera. That was probably half of my current film. Is there any other way?????

Well I think I may have found the problem. I was told that the fact that mpeg-2 is muxed and must be converted with a demuxer. I read that mpeg streamclip could be used to do so, I tried downloading it and of course there were some technical problems. There is no way that this crap is how I am supposed to use sony vegas every time I make a film. I tried capturing directly from my camera with a sample clip I just made as well, and it was still an mpeg-2 and did not have any audio on sony vegas, but it did on windows media player. I really just don't get it.

I've never heard of this issue nor have I had this problem happen to me and I've been using Vegas for a few years. you might try uninstalling, and reinstalling again, or check the Vegas webpage for updates. This is indeed odd. Did you check the Knowledge base on the web? Now you've got me interested in this problem. The Mux/Demux shouldn't have anything to do with this issue. What kind of camera are you using?

I'm using a Sony hdd handycam. I looked it up and I've found a few people with the same issue. One said that he found a solution, and it's to convert the videos to avi. It seems that mpeg-2 doesn't work as far as audio goes in sony vegas.

Okay, I found a fix, although I am not sure how long or effective this will be. I converted the mpeg-2 into an avi. This created two separate files, one video and one audio. This allowed me to put the video and the audio to the same clip in separately, and it worked fine.

ok a sony hdd cam , if it's in HD, records in m2t (or something like that) it's basically 5.1 stereo. I've only done this once with a sony HD cam and it was a few months ago, but I seem to remember having to import two files, the video and the audio and it actually layers out on 5 tracks. A friend of mine sent me a DVD with all of his files on it and I imported it all from the DVD, worked fine. The Sony Vegas should have no issues with a Sony cam. This is perplexing. You should not have to convert it to an AVI, look for the m2t file.

Back