Brexit: Sad day for the UK...

So goodbye EU, it was nice knowing you. We had a good time together but now the divorce lawyers are out in force and we'll have to fight over the kids. As one of the first ever Erasmus students (top scholarship program for Europeans who speak a couple or more languages) and someone who always sold to countries like Belgium, I'm sad.

In US terms, it's as if Texas decided it didn't want to be part of the Union anymore. Although I think you had that particular discussion a while ago.

Goodbye EU... :no:

It is goot for England to be independent. I hate that globalization bs. Countries not having their own identity is bad for humanity.

England is only a part of the UK, but it might indeed lead to an independant England, since Scotland wants a new vote on their own independance. Voices in Northern-Ireland to rather leave the UK than to create a new strict border that will split up the island once again are rising. (The open borders helped to lower tensions in Northern Ireland.)

If you travel through the EU and the UK you can clearly see all the nations have a distinct identity.
Movies like Roadtrip are based on those clichés.

Only time will tell whether it was a good move or not.

Negotiations might last for 2 years before any results are clear.

I'm far removed from it, but it would seem that there's a large 'stay' movement, now that many have realised what the actual implications are.

Perhaps similar to the many who regret voting for Trump now that they realise the extent of what is actually happening.

I don't like to get too political, but there seemed to be this whole idea of 'no take backsies' - or 'no do-overs'.

Personally, with such a huge undertaking as that, and with such a slim margin for the 'leave' campaign in the initial vote, I think that the whole idea of 'well we had a vote so you don't get to change your mind' goes against the whole idea of a democratic government being representative of the people, and the people's will.

But then, I could be wrong. Perhaps people on the ground do favour leaving.

The issues for film makers are:

1. No more access to the EU film fund. This is big for anyone trying to tap into this.
2. Inward investment is holding off because of currency fluctuations, tax implications and who knows what will happen to the free movement of money. So trying to get your film financed is even harder.
3. Currency tanked - down nearly 20% so kit costs more as do flights. If I want to go see a distributor in LA, it costs 20% more than it did a year ago. Ditto if I want a bit of kit or stuff like food or gas.
4. Tax breaks: There is a hold on all EU tax breaks and HMRC (our tax people) have gone into rabid mode. They're using the confusion to attack everything tax break related.

For film makers, there is no upside from the UK.

In US terms, it's as if Texas decided it didn't want to be part of the Union anymore.
It's on!

President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker said:

“Brexit isn’t the end. A lot of people would like it that way, even people on another continent where the newly elected US President was happy that the Brexit was taking place and has asked other countries to do the same. If he goes on like that I am going to promote the independence of Ohio and Austin, Texas in the US.”

I wonder why he will only promote independence for Austin and not
all of Texas.

I'm truly sorry this is going to make filmmaking so difficult for filmmakers i
n England. I can relate; here in the states we don't have access to the EU
film fund. We have very little access to any government film funds. Trying
to get a film financed here in the states gets harder and harder every year
because of currency fluctuations and tax implications. In California, the
center of US filmmaking, we lose 60% of our production to states (and
countries in the EU) that offer tax breaks. Our legislators attack everything
tax break related.

Seems here in the states filmmakers have many of the same issues UK
filmmakers will now face so I understand. Let's hope that England starts
offering tax breaks - just as I hope that California does.

I don't like to get too political, but there seemed to be this whole idea of 'no take backsies' - or 'no do-overs'.

Personally, with such a huge undertaking as that, and with such a slim margin for the 'leave' campaign in the initial vote, I think that the whole idea of 'well we had a vote so you don't get to change your mind' goes against the whole idea of a democratic government being representative of the people, and the people's will.

I agree with you: a more or less irreversible decision that will have an impact on generations to come should be treated with a larger mandate. Just like a change in the constitution in most democaties requires a large margin as well.
It's not a vote about something temporary.

LOL @ Rik:
while Europeans like to laugh about Amercians not knowing where European Countries are on the map, most Europeans have no clue about the locations of different States and their capitols.

n England. I can relate; here in the states we don't have access to the EU
film fund.

I dont think thats quite true, im pretty sure american film companies employ european actors for the very purpose of getting addtional funding from the EU film fund, at least I know that Refn employed that tactic for funding of his films.

I dont think thats quite true, im pretty sure american film companies employ european actors for the very purpose of getting addtional funding from the EU film fund, at least I know that Refn employed that tactic for funding of his films.
I would love to know more about this. I'm a fan of Refn - "Drive" being
one of my favorite films - but can't seem to find any info about him getting
EU funds for hiring European actors. What US made movies did he get
additional funding from the EU for? What American film companies use this
funding?

If US filmmakers can get EU funding without being part of the EU why does
the UK leaving the EU cut off that funding avenue? If the EU offers funding
based on using European actors couldn't a UK filmmaker still get EU finding
the same way US filmmaker do?

There is a diffenrence between EU filmfunds and national filmfunds or even city-region taxbreaks/incentives.
US productions can't use EU filmfunds, but they can often apply for national incentives through local coproduction. Dunkirk was partly shot in The Netherlands: not only because we turned a tumultuous sea into a giant lake 70 years ago, so shooting at 'sea' is easier there, but also because of financial benefits, which came from the Dutch Filmfund. Not an EU filmfund.)

That's what I thought, but film_autre seems pretty sure we are wrong. I'm
always interested in learning new things from non-US based filmmakers. My
knowledge is rather limited in that regard.

Since here in the states we have very little government money available for
filmmaking I'm always looking to countries that offer not just tax breaks but
actual funding options. I know of “Creative Europe”. And I know that country
by country there is funding available for local filmmakers and coproductions.
As far as I know none of those offer funding to US producers even if they hire
European actors or crew.

My assumption was gorilla was saying that Creative Europe would no longer
be offering funding in England which means the CED UK will no longer have
access to that money. Will they still be affiliated with BFI and ACE and the UK
Department for Culture, Media and Sport?

Back