How Cool Would An Internet Theater Be?

I was thinking about this for quite some time now:

There are these crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo and they are kick-ass! However, I don't see one done for independent movies.

For instance, when a filmmaker goes to fund his movie, people give him or her money to produce it and in exchange, he or she gives them perks. Cool, right? What about the costs of making a movie on top of that, what about the costs of perks, actors, the equipment, it's endless! At best, your favorite independent filmmaker is breaking even. This means in order for there to be a sequel, it's another round of crowdfunding...yay. And that's if he can make enough to not having to cling to a job. So, it'll be years before you see your sequel.

What if instead of just crowdfunding for the production of the independent movie, we can do that (crowdfunding) as well as give the ability of the filmmaker to sell tickets to those who didn't fund the movie in the first place so that way, he can make profit so he can make another movie more quickly so you can watch it without having to pay ten dollars for popcorn.

What do you guys think about that idea?

um....I'm sorry but I was under the impression that to make some sort of sequal you'd need to have created done sort if fan base off the first film who want to see a sequal?

If you wanted to make another movie just work on your maths and pitch for more in your crowd funding video

I was thinking about this for quite some time now:

There are these crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo and they are kick-ass! However, I don't see one done for independent movies.

For instance, when a filmmaker goes to fund his movie, people give him or her money to produce it and in exchange, he or she gives them perks. Cool, right? What about the costs of making a movie on top of that, what about the costs of perks, actors, the equipment, it's endless! At best, your favorite independent filmmaker is breaking even. This means in order for there to be a sequel, it's another round of crowdfunding...yay. And that's if he can make enough to not having to cling to a job. So, it'll be years before you see your sequel.

What if instead of just crowdfunding for the production of the independent movie, we can do that (crowdfunding) as well as give the ability of the filmmaker to sell tickets to those who didn't fund the movie in the first place so that way, he can make profit so he can make another movie more quickly so you can watch it without having to pay ten dollars for popcorn.

Where are you getting your fan base?

This is just another version of the myth, "Make a movie and they will come."

Get on producers forums on LinkedIn and see how many crowd funding attempts fail because newbies are blinded by their dreams and are their own number one fans. But, without a loyal paying fan base, they are nothing more than dreams. Crowd funding has become too much of a crutch.

How much money do you have?

That is your budget.

Ha I like how you list the cost of movie making as...

1) Perks
2) Actors
3) Equipment

At least ya got yer priorities right bud, man after my own heart!!!

I love the idea. Do you think there is a market for your
idea? Would you pay to watch an indie film this way? Do
You know people who would?

Are you planning of setting up a way to do this or are
you hoping someone else will take you idea and make
it happen?

But isn't that what indie filmmakers already do with their features? Try to monetize them for future funding while trying to raise your profile to increase your chances of getting more traditional funding, right?

The thing is, there are already channels for this. You can sell the DVDs (either through a distributor or independently) and there's also the VOD route, which is becoming more popular universally.

An even more important question is how would you plan on competing with established payed video-on-demand services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and even Youtube (since it now has a PPV section for features).

Why should filmmakers choose your service over the other ones listed? And how are you going to make consumers aware of and interested in your site/brand?

These are honest questions and are things I just think you should think about before moving forward. Please take them in the spirit in which they are given which is in no way hostile.

Are you proposing a new crowdfunding site that also has a VOD service for the completed works of the people who funded through the site?

Why couldn't you just make one of the perks a free VOD download of the movie? Or a ticket to a screening? Isn't that what a lot of people do anyway? I just don't see what the difference would be from current offerings.

Are you proposing a new crowdfunding site that also has a VOD service for the completed works of the people who funded through the site?

I like this. A crowd funding site that focuses specifically on movie making and with a VOD service of the actual movies. May be on to something there.

Back