• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

New idea i'm researching...any opinions?

Was hoping for some opinions on an idea i've been doing some research for.

It is set in the early 1900's during the birth of the mafia in NYC and follows a proud, courageous italian cop from his early days as a street sweeper, to his tragic demise as NYC's most respected and famous Lt.

Title: The Street Cleaner

Logline:

As New York's earliest Mafia family tightens its grip on Little Italy, the NYCPD's first Italian Detective sacrifices everything to battle the group's disturbingly violent bosses.

Any opinions would be great!

It's high concept.
And I don't know why people are saying it's a hard sell since most cops of the era were Irish. Well yeah, that's exactly the point and why the concept soars.

A period piece to have any shot of succeeding will need $olid budget.

For those who are curious -
A Few of his Cases that Made the News

Early in his career when a beat-policeman, Petrosino came to the rescue of a Mr. Washington who was being mugged by three thugs. When the dust settled, Mr. Washington and Joe Petrosino were still standing. The three thugs were beat to a pulp on the sidewalk, and under arrest.

Police Commissioner Teddy Roosevelt promoted Joe Petrosino to Detective Sergeant assigned to Homicide, the first Italian-American to reach that position (1895). Petrosino developed a friendship with Roosevelt that lasted all his life long. The tough-good-guys were two of a kind.

Convinced an innocent man, Angelo Carboni, was being sent to the electric chair, Petrosino tracked the real killer down through two countries and over four weeks, using disguises, impersonations, informants, and cunning police sense. He saved the innocent Italian-immigrant from death, and sent the real killer down.

Under his command, the Italian Legion shut down an insurance scam that preyed on naive immigrants (1899). They were convinced to sign onto life insurance, but the seller made himself the beneficially. The innocent immigrant always died soon after.

Amazingly, he infiltrated an Anarchist organization based in Italy that was responsible for the assassination of Italy's King Umberto. Petrosino discovered U.S. President McKinley was one of the group's targets, and warned the Secret Service to have the President avoid Buffalo, New York. But McKinley refused to accept the warning, despite his Vice President Teddy Roosevelt vouching for his friend Petrosino's police skills. McKinley was assassinated soon after in Buffalo by an Anarchist, making Teddy Roosevelt President of the U.S. (1901).

He famously worked two so-called Barrel-Murder cases of note. A gangland counterfeiter who had talked too much was brutally murdered and stuffed in a barrel (1902). This case was linked to the more famous later case of another dead counterfeiter found in a barrel (1903) that led Petrosino to Vito Cascio Ferro, the newly arrived Sicilian mafia don who was working to organize the various Italian gangs (the Black Hand organizations) into one powerful crime group. Petrosino chased Ferro across the country to New Orleans, but Ferro escaped to Sicily and later became the prime suspect behind the assassination of Joe Petrosino 6 years later. Ferro kept a photo of Petrocino in his wallet and told all and sundry that he would one day kill his nemesis.

After numerous threats on the policeman's life, Petrosino gave a public beating (in self-defense, of course) to Ignazio Lupo, the Sicilian mafia's top killer (who buried most of the bodies at his family's stables in Harlem). Petrosino beat Lupo to pulp and stuffed him head-first into an ash-barrel on a street in Little Italy before the shocked and amused Italian immigrants, who only moments before would have crossed themselves in fear at the name of Lupo. Lupo never regained the standing he had before the beating, and was soon after sent down on counterfeiting charges.

His Italian Legion cut crime against Italian-immigrants by half, and succeeded in dismantling the Calabrian crime organization in NYC, and they deported it's don, Enrico Alfano, back to Italy (1907). Petrosino famously dragged Alfano all the way from the man's apartment down the streets to the police station, so all would see what eventually happens to criminals in New York City.

His Legion broke up a giant prostitution ring run by the Sicilian mafia in NYC (1909). Newly arrived Sicilian women were coerced into prostituting themselves to save their lives, or those of their relations in New York or back in Sicily. Petrosino managed to put away all but one of the mobsters involved.

About 17 different movie ideas here. I'd avoid the temptation to put more than one or two in a script.

Kind of annoyed...

Just was told by a friend that there is a film in dev about Petrosino with Benicio Del Toro attached.

Did a google search and found a blurb about it. So...@%$^!! I really was excited to pursue this.

Anyhow, thanks for all the feedback...

Onto the next idea...

Dude maybe you should read the Alienist by Caleb Carr. It takes place maybe a little earlier but its right as Roosevelt was the first Chief of Police in NYC. Its very good and basically the guy did a lot of the research about the setting and what is possible as far as police and detective work. Its historical fiction but very on point with what I've learned through my own affinity with history.

If he's a real guy then you have feasibility. Most movie goers won't think twice about researching a character to see if he is real but those that do will be slapped in the face when they discover he actually was a real guy.

Loved the Alienist!

Kind of annoyed...

Just was told by a friend that there is a film in dev about Petrosino with Benicio Del Toro attached.

Did a google search and found a blurb about it. So...@%$^!! I really was excited to pursue this.

Anyhow, thanks for all the feedback...

Onto the next idea...

I was going to comment about this very thing, that with an idea that compelling, most likely there are a lot of
existing scripts floating around. But so what? Didn't stop the makers of Deep Impact. Parallel development is a fact
of life.

And the story should be well within public domain.

Loved the Alienist!

Sucks about the bad news. I hate when there's a cool story that was done but its a shitty product. You start to feel shit I coulda done that so much better but now I can't because its already there. Maybe wait a couple years then go back to it. Movies where del toro is the lead are usually forgotten. Look at wolfman..

It was an awesome book. Carr does such great research to really make it all sound believable.

Back