• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

thoughts on my script

It wasn't bad. Some spelling errors that can be fixed. Keep out camera angles.

Maybe a little less explaining in Penelope's voice over's. Kinda of just have her act it out in the flashback rather than her explaining what were already seeing. Its cool to intro the flashback. "today was easier than yesterday..." then into flashback of her walking through bus or whatever. I think it'd be cool if Noah tries to persuade her to stay home. rather than being okay with her leaving. also wouldn't she be upset that he read her diary?

Hmmm...

The dialogue needs some work because, at the moment, each conversation is just three or four lines of banal chit-chat. The highschool 'bitching' isn't really offensive enough, seems kind of tame, for her to become so extreme about it.

Also is there no way that the jumper could hold some greater significance for her? I get that she likes Wonderwoman and all but if she's wearing it every day then people will talk. That's just plain weird. Maybe it could be the only thing her Dad left her before walking out?

I would also try and establish Noah as a character before she calls him because it takes a scene or two for an explanation as to who he is, by which time he's already started reading her diary (which is kind of creepy). An idea might be to have some Super8 style home videos at the beginning, showing protagonist girl (forgotten her name) and Noah growing up together and being friends. You can then juxtapose that with the opening scene which highlights her isolation.

Other than that it's a neat little story and the flashbacks should work nicely. I would take everything up a notch if I were you- make the girls at school cattier, make the protagonist's emotional state gloomier, make Noah more internally conflicted which will make his coming around at the end more believable (sort of like Cedric Diggory in HP4)...

Anyhow just a few ideas, and spelling and grammar will go a long way as well.

:)

Last edited:
I'm confused on a few points. First, if her mother has always been so career oriented, how was she home schooled and why isn't she anymore? Second, Does Noah actually care what happens to Sarah? The build-up indicates that he might have deeper feelings for her, but when he realizes that she's running away, his attitude is rather cavalier. Third, Is Sarah more than a little crazy? I get that she's isolated, why? The way you describe her appearance (not much) she sounds as if she has the look of a bag lady. Again, why? Fourth, Did she used to be a happy, relatively well adjusted kid (when she was closer to Noah) and some critical incident precipitated a change? Fifth, If so, what? I get that it's a short and that you don't have very long to develop your characters. I like the idea of the Super 8 introduction. Finally, why does the teasing of the other school girls have such a profound effect on Sarah? This could be answered by number three. If, for example, life was great for Sarah and Noah was her best friend until Sarah's dad died a few years ago and Sarah became withdrawn and developed sever depression, that would explain her reactions as well as her dress and loneliness. That can be revealed by having the home-movie introduction show Noah and Sarah as kids playing and being friends (Dad would have to be in some of the clips, like at a family BBQ and him giving her the Wonder Woman sweatshirt) up until her father's funeral (which Noah didn't show up to). The mental illness can be shown by having a prescription bottle for phenelzine (an anti-depressant of last resort) on her night stand when Noah goes to get the money. If Mom had to go back to work because the insurance money from Dad's death ran out, that would explain her having to go to public school.

Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth.

Back