• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

DVD Compilation

Hey folks, one of the people from my area on another forum is working on a project with his friend to make a compilation DVD with the production costs split between the filmmakers included on the DVD. Thought I'd pass the word here about it for him. Here's the email he sent me:

Hello fellow filmmakers,

My friend Bill and I are proposing a collaborative DVD compilation where a
number of filmmakers join together and split the cost to produce the DVD.
If you are interested, we've set up a web site with more details.

http://www.QuantumPetshop.com/DVC/

We welcome any comments, questions, suggestions, threats or concerns.

Ryan Foss & Bill Nagel
Quantum Petshop
Producers of Bullets over Breakfast

Don't understand why these guys wanna make profit out of independant then broke filmmakers, we all know that the real cost of a DVD is 2,50$ max so why is it 7,50 with them which means 300% profits...For the time they spend on it, ok then, put a 100% profit not 300...

Okay I'll let this idea out of the bag.. I've always wanted help create a "cinematic league" (similar to a baseball league) where short filmmakers in different cities form "teams" and release DVD's w/ 5-7 shorts each DVD. Each team has a logo, mascot, batting lineup of directors, etc. The DVD's are mailed to subscribers and voted on.. the filmmakers from the winning DVD get prizes from sponsors.

yasyas: if you have a question or concern about it direct it to them... They're talking about authoring it and then going through an actual dvd pressing facility, which would indeed cost more than burning blanks on the computer at home.

You should probably actually READ what they're laying out, before you just look at the numbers on the page. Since the numbers will change based on the number of people involved.

http://www.quantumpetshop.com/DVC/for_filmmakers.asp

Check that link.

Last edited:
filmscheduling said:
Okay I'll let this idea out of the bag.. I've always wanted help create a "cinematic league" (similar to a baseball league) where short filmmakers in different cities form "teams" and release DVD's w/ 5-7 shorts each DVD. Each team has a logo, mascot, batting lineup of directors, etc. The DVD's are mailed to subscribers and voted on.. the filmmakers from the winning DVD get prizes from sponsors.

Are you joking or are you serious? Either way, it's not a bad idea. It could end up catching on like the 48 hour project.

Poke

Quantum Petshop's DVC volume 1

Hi,

We, Quantum Petshop, are NOT PROFITING FROM FILMMAKERS. We are extending an opportunity to other filmmakers to get our films onto a compilation DVD. We split the costs evenly and fairly. The product is a REAL DVD. We produce the artwork, DVD menu structure, etc. at no charge.

Filmmakers involved, including us, must pay a fraction of the overhead production costs (setup, lot replication, etc.) and have the option of buying as many DVDs as they want at production costs (cost to package a DVD: inserts, wrap, etc.).

The only opportunity for profit for us is the same as any filmmaker involved: selling DVDs.

But the real benefit in my mind is that we get exposure and work together to promote the DVD compilation, not just a single short film.

Please check the website if your are interested, and e-mail us any questions. www.quantumpetshop.com/dvc

Ryan Foss
Quantum Petshop

I checked out the site. I see you are doing a compilation of trailers to sell. I think you'd do better with compilations of shorts, I don't know anyone that would buy trailers. Good luck.

Poke said:
Are you joking or are you serious? Either way, it's not a bad idea. It could end up catching on like the 48 hour project.

Poke

Yep, I'm serious.

The problem with DVD compilations of shorts is that there's no compelling reason for the consumer to buy it.. it's just another collection of shorts. But, if it's the official DVD from the New York Lenscaps or the Texas Rangefinders then communities can get behind each team's DVD.

I just don't have the time at the moment to get it off the ground myself though. I'd like to see different cities field cinematic "teams" w/ 5 to 7 directors per team. Each team does a DVD compilation of shorts which are sold/rented through the league web site. Team with highest sales (or best reviews?) win prizes. There's no need to create teams from scratch, just contact festival directors in each city and use the latest official selections as a starting point.

It's a way to apply professional sports marketing, with branding, team logos, lineups, stats, etc. to filmmaking. People love contests, especially when tied in with community and civic pride..

I'm posting the idea because I'd like to see it happen.

Per

Last edited:
I like your idea there- I'll see about submitting a trailer...
I think you should remove the line: (submission dates, filmmakers section)
"All dates are subject to change once we figure out what we're doing."
to
"All dates are subject to change."

You already know what you are doing! Don't give the impression you are not!
Nice website by the way!
I'll be in touch.

indietalk said:
I checked out the site. I see you are doing a compilation of trailers to sell. I think you'd do better with compilations of shorts, I don't know anyone that would buy trailers. Good luck.

What sort of Extra Features are considered?
Just about anything. Trailers will have their own menu. Other extra features could be demo reels, music videos, behind the scenes, tutorials, or anything you got.

What will the balance be between films and extra features?
We hope that films will occupy > 75% of the total runtime.[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif];) it's supposed to be mostly shorts...[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

PS... Per: it does sound like a good idea, with A LOT of details involved with it...[/font]

Last edited:
Will Vincent said:
yasyas: if you have a question or concern about it direct it to them... They're talking about authoring it and then going through an actual dvd pressing facility, which would indeed cost more than burning blanks on the computer at home.

That should actually cost less (well, per DVD)!

...but yeah, that seems like a fair deal to me. I'll be contacting them later!

Last edited:
I have visit your site, and want to answer here in forum, I am now on the search for pre-sale or co-production of my horror and mystery movie :

the JUNGLE SPIRIT film's synopsis site

it take few weeks only and we starts with shooting. The product placements are welcomen too. Please contact me from the site SSL connection, thanks a lot.

Ingo

PS: but am not sure, do it on the right place....

Last edited:
Back