• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

FCP User Taking an Avid Gig

Hey all,

Oh man, it's been almost four years since I graduated film school where I was lectured on Avid for a solid two months, and I forgot just about everything. Between then and now, I've opened MC four times to try and learn it, but I just get so frustrated; I could never grasp it. I was offered a paid AE gig (wow, is this guy serious?) to work on Avid this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some quick reference tips. Maybe some compare/contrast tips from members on here who use both programs? Just trying to learn the basics to function and make simple cuts to get around the program. Maybe someone has a keyboard file with shortcuts setup similar to FCP?

Also, is anyone an AE on Media Composer and can offer me some basic workflow tips when ingesting media and performing assistant tasks? I'm semi familiar with the Isis Unity and what it's used for, but I'll probably be so absent minded of the lingo if someone tells me to get something from somewhere on there. Any help is MUCH appreciated. THANKS!!!

Here's my email if you'd like to send me anything, or just post in here.

themikelowther@gmail.com

Check out lynda.com. They may have some good video tutorials for what you need to learn. $25 for a month. But lynda.com is amazing.

http://www.lynda.com/Avid-training-tutorials/109-0.html

7 different MC tutorials. Might be a good crash course

Totally worth $25!

Man, this is equivalent to having to learn 50% of the Spanish language in just a few days. Thankfully, they pushed it to this weekend. I hope there are some tips in digitizing footage, creating stringouts for clients, etc. Shit we actually use in the industry, and not home editing. THANKS AGAIN!!!

I'd suggest downloading a trail of MC and jumping right in. I know I found it really difficult at first, but eventually I figured it all out - it may have helped that I went to the MC 5 seminar where they ran 'What's New' workshops and 'Media Composer for Final Cut users', but they were half hour workshops that really only touched on the basics

Back