8mm film need software advice

Hello, I am new here and hope this is the right type of forum to get help.

I have 100's of old home movies I like to put on my computer. I know doing it myself by playing the film to a screen and recording it to camcorder is not the perfect answer but it what I can afford at this time. Plus I really enjoy working with photos and want to learn film editing. I am a graphic designer and stilled with Corel projects.

I have a working 8mm projector and some film works fine, the 1970’s stuff. However the older film is jumpy and I can't get the frame rate right on the projector.

Anyway, My thought is if it can get it on the computer there should be software I can use to adjust the frame rate the film plays at. All the software I can find is full of effects. I don't want fancy effects. I want to crop the film and adjust the play rate. See if I can get these films to play at the right speed.

Any suggestion would be must appreciated. Also if anyone can point me to some cleaning film tips I can really trust.

Thank you for your time
Kimberly

Welcome, Kimber.

I know Corel has video editing software. Though I've never used
Corel Video Studio but I'm quite sure it's similar to all software.
It will allow you to crop and adjust the frame rate.

Check out Spectra Film and Video for cleaning supplies.
It sounds to me like you have broken sprocket holes - that's usually
what causes the film to jump while running through the projector.
I've used Kodak Prestape to do a quick fix. Not the very best method
because the tape also covers the picture area, but it's a DIY method
that works well.

adjust the play rate. See if I can get these films to play at the right speed.

Do you mean that the film was originally shot at a speed that your projector cannot play?

Like... film shot at 18fps and projector only plays back at 24fps?

Hi, I picked up a copy of corel Video Studio and cropping is very limited to pre set sizes. I have no messed with frame rate yet.

Thanks
Kimberly

Welcome, Kimber.

I know Corel has video editing software. Though I've never used
Corel Video Studio but I'm quite sure it's similar to all software.
It will allow you to crop and adjust the frame rate.

Check out Spectra Film and Video for cleaning supplies.
It sounds to me like you have broken sprocket holes - that's usually
what causes the film to jump while running through the projector.
I've used Kodak Prestape to do a quick fix. Not the very best method
because the tape also covers the picture area, but it's a DIY method
that works well.

Windows Movie Maker (Though not the best) has several free effect and transition preset codes that you can copy and paste type install from their online community site, among them a few horizontal crops like 1%, 2% 5%.

Its possible Corel also has similar additional user written codes, but I don’t know for sure.

-Thanks-

Back