Universal Studios, Hollywood

It's not in Hollywood btw, but anyhow, took the kids there yesterday. The Terminator and Shrek shows were great. I've got a question though, I've never seen 3D so sharp and colorful. For those that have seem these shows, is that the level of quality one should expect from 3D at the local cineplex? I saw Avatar and Beowulf in 3D and it sucked. Dim, soft, and annoying. What I saw yesterday was a whole different story. I was blown away.

In both cases they are using two 70mm projectors. In the case of
T2 they use six. In your local cinema you are seeing the two images
split from one projector. I was “Avatar” at the Cinerama Dome in
Hollywood because they were the only theater in california using
two digital projectors. It makes a huge difference.

Ernest, Harry Potter is not at Universal Hollywood. That’s where
brian was.

I've never seen 3D so sharp and colorful. For those that have seem these shows, is that the level of quality one should expect from 3D at the local cineplex?

I bet the sound was freaking awesome too. Yes, that is what you should be experiencing at the local multiplex. The problem is that the owners/operators don't do the proper maintenance. The focus and brightness, etc. needs to be adjusted with the approved test reel, as does the sound system. I'm not up on the film side, but the typical sound system is supposed to be run at "7". Most theatres run it at "5". Why? Because the trailers are cut so fricking loud that the theatres receive complaints, so the system is turned down but never readjusted back to "7" for the feature. There is probably one projectionist running all six theatres, s/he just doesn't have the time, and the owner/operator doesn't care. Nor is the owner/operator going to pay the projectionist overtime to adjust the projectors and sound system when the new films come in.

If a theatre receives enough complaints they may correct some of the technical problems. The local Loews is actually pretty good, not great, but pretty good. My wife & I and our friends all talk loudly about the problems (fuzzy or dark picture, etc., missing/unbalanced speakers, etc.) on the way out of the theatre on our way to the theatre managers office, also proclaiming loudly that we want a refund and why. When dozens of people appear at your office every week demanding refunds the message eventually gets across.

Damn, am I just the lucky one? My local multiplex is just dandy. "Avatar" and "Beowulf", in 3D, were both F-ing brilliant!

Depending on the movie I'm watching, though, and the timing, the audio may or may not be great. My local multiplex has 4 or 5 screens that are large, and the audio is just as big. So, if I'm watching a new release, big-name movie, I'm watching it on a good screen, with great audio. If I'm catching it a month later, or if it's a smaller indie movie, then it's on one of the smaller screens, and kind of quiet (I can usually hear the explosions coming from the blockbuster next door). To be honest, if you're experiencing these problems, I think it's probably your fault for waiting so long to see the movie. Multiplexes, in my experience, are all the same.

In both cases they are using two 70mm projectors. In the case of
T2 they use six. In your local cinema you are seeing the two images
split from one projector..

Okay so even under ideal circumstances at local theaters, I shouldn't expect that level of sharpness and brightness. It was absolutely killer, and the 3d had me ducking.

@Alcove, yes, the audio was amazing.

Okay so even under ideal circumstances at local theaters, I shouldn't expect that level of sharpness and brightness.
That had been my experience.

Even seeing good 3D in the big theaters here in Los Angeles is
not as good as seeing 3D using two projectors. In the early '90's
there was a theater in LA that showed only 3D films. Old ones.
They used two 35mm projectors and the 3D effect was much
better than even the best 3D digital projection I see at major
LA theaters. When the DGA shows 3D films in their theater they
use two projectors. When the AMPAS shows 3D films in their
theater they use two projectors.

I think it makes a huge difference.

I've read a lot of opinions from people saying 3d is a gimmicky fad. If the industry can muster a way to make two projectors economical, I think they'd really have something. What they have at Universal is totally cool.
Let's, I own two GH2's...I wonder if...

Back