Camcorder for run-n-gun type stuff

I'm looking around for a fairly cheap, conventional camcorder to use (in conjunction with a homemade DOF adapter) strictly for hand-held shots where I'd not want to use my Canon 7D.

Most of the cameras I'm looking at have CMOS sensors. I know the "jello cam" appearance in DSLR footage has to do with rolling shutter and the nature of how the lines are read... but also the large sensor size, which makes the skewing more pronounced.

SO... do these standard camcorders with CMOS sensors get away with non-jello/skewed footage simply due to small sensor size (and negligible skewing?) or is there something else going on there to achieve a "normal" CCD-like appearance?

P.S. I'm looking at something like the Canon VIXIA HF M41, or similar ($500-ish price range) but welcome suggestions.

Thanks!

Consider a Panasonic GH2, it's big chip CMOS and skews of course, but it has an ETC mode that hugely reduces skew with no res loss. The trade offs are it increases the crop factor and is a lil nosier. It's the GH2's secret WMD.

Or consider a CCD based set up.

I know, I was looking at the Canon VIXIA HF M41, myself. But watch the CNET review:

CNET Review

Not saying it should be a deal breaker, but I guess it doesn't shoot 24p. :(

Thanks, Richy!

Yeah... I'd like to find a true 24p for this.

Prior to getting into DSLRS, I shot with a VIXIA HF-100 and homemade DOF adapter, both of which I wound up selling.

The VIXIAs seem to shoot in that 24fps-in-a-59.94-wrapper format. I remember having to do pulldown removal and what-not to get 24p out of the footage.

Back