Do the actors in a slasher film have to be goodlooking?

celebrity-pictures-steve-buscemi-talented-actors.jpg

Love this guy. He's a hell of an actor.

Beauty really is personal. But, a truly gifted actor who is not attractive will still stand out. Because "natural" talent is extremely rare.

But still, you can't get any "attractive" people, so how about this... You're killer is a once average looking guy, who went for plastic surgery, but it went wrong and he ended up horribly scarred. This drove him mad. After five years in the loony bin, he escapes and goes on a kill-crazy rampage, butchering ugly people and carving up their faces, to make them as 'beautiful' as he is...

Hey, that's pretty good :)

Steve Buscemi's no oil painting to be sure, but he does have a really INTERESTING face with those crazy eyes...

http://chickswithstevebuscemeyes.tumblr.com/

I`d go with good actors over good looking but cant act anyday. Someone has alreay said the reason why slasher movies has so many `prettier` actors. It`s because the main audience for them is young males who usually prefer to see lots of pretty girls all over the place. If you have good actors and an interesting idea it doesnt really matter what the actors look like IMHO.

Actors in a slasher, for me, have to be attractive.

I agree with someone earlier who said that unattractive actors screams low-budget (although that's probably as much to do with make up and lighting as the actor themselves). But you can get away with having unattractive actors in a drama or anything that is dependent on reality as a narrative point. Slashers do not do that. People watch slashers because it produces adrenaline. There's no genre that's so dependent on a chemical response, so factor testosterone into the equation when you're casting. It sounds shitty but if I'm going to have to watch people being killed for an hour and a half, I want them to be young and hot...

Got ya, but I was told that the reason slashers are accepted is because of low budget, yet they must splurge the extra cash on goodlooking people. That's kind of being paradoxical about it.

Actors in slasher films need to be attractive IMO. Madman and Human Centipede are two films I enjoyed, but both would've been a helluva lot better if the actors would've been better looking. Maybe not all the actors have to be ridiculously attractive, but at least some of them should be.

I agree at least one of the main characters should be good looking. People that are extras and don't talk much could be good looking actors that don't talk too. Ha...

I think having good actors as your main cast is the most important. I would hope for at least one good looking lady in the main cast. If the guy is ugly he could be good as a bad guy. Just a thought.

Steve Buscemi is a great actor and anyone would be lucky to have him in their cast.

I think you could have people like Pinhead in your film where looks are not important much it is more about the spikes and costumes and look for the bad guy. Or Jason who had the hockey mask. Ha...

I do think having a least one good looking person in the film is important. The rest of the cast can be average looking. Hopefully some good looking ladies in the film some where.

To those that say ugly actors spell low budget there is also good looking actors that can't act.

Last edited:
No slashers for me then. I don't think I could find any good looking actors, but if I do, and they had the talent, then I would be more open. What other genres does this apply to? Some action movies require it like James Bond style, but if it's a real serious thriller, do the women have to be goodlooking?

Back