• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

When editing a feature film

So I'm editing a full feature film, and here is my question. While editing should I cut the film into scenes and edit those into separate clips then when all the clips are done drop them into the timeline and just render it out as one clip Or do the whole film in one project (I edit in FCPX) I'd like some advice before I start.

Do it all in one project dude. I don't see any advantage or reason for editing all your scenes as separate projects. Putting it all together will be a royal pain and you'll need your transitions to flow anyways in the end so why not build it that way from the beginning. You're past the writing stage. This is editing.

One project, yes. But I definitely prefer keeping each scene in its own timeline (or maybe 2-3 short scenes in the same timeline). I'll often have multiple timelines of the same scene (1st rough cut, 2nd rough cut, etc). In the end, it's a snap to put all the timelines into one master timeline (takes maybe 60 seconds, literally).

Back