Who Wants In???

It might be a thing with just me, but I'd strongly advise that you strike that term from your professional vernacular.

It spit-dribbling screams nube.

Please, for your own professional development and image - don't ever use it.

Say that you have the finances and resources instead.

Ray

I can definitely see what you're saying here. I was just providing a statement on how we feel as writers towards our project.

I can definitely see what you're saying here. I was just providing a statement on how we feel as writers towards our project.
Cool and respected.

Just like with dating and marriage and work: Don't tell how you feel. Tell what you can and will do.
"Feelings" are strictly for guys with potential but no achievements or resources.

Boss don't wanna know how you feeeeeel about doing the work. :no:

Boss wants to see what work you've done or have the ability to do. :yes:

Last edited:
Weren't you committed and passionate about the last script before you threw that in the trash?

Haha, that script is definitely not in the trash, we actually fore saw that that script might end up getting to big budget, and for that reason we had the back up script, we've had the script we're working on since the get go, in case our original got too big budget, understand what I'm saying?

Cool and respected.

Just like with dating and marriage and work: Don't tell how you feel. Tell what you can and will do.
"Feelings" are strictly for guys with potential but no achievements or resources.

Boss don't wanna know how you feeeeeel about doing the work. :no:

Boss wants to see what work you've done or have the ability to do. :yes:

Totally understand this, thanks for the input.

With the new Community Project thread basically extinguishing this one, and with our writers now drilling a new script, I am going to stay away for awhile, when the script is completed I will log back on and post it.

PM or E-mail me if you wish to read and critique our script along the way. Or if you still want to retain connection for when we finally do get on set to shoot this film. Or if you have questions.

Thank you, and goodbye for now. I wish you all the best of luck!!!!

What about publishing an outline of the script. The scenes you are planning and the progress of writing for each scene. As others said, the script part is the most critical, not only film-wise, but also to get collaborators on board.

What about publishing an outline of the script. The scenes you are planning and the progress of writing for each scene. As others said, the script part is the most critical, not only film-wise, but also to get collaborators on board.

I can give a short brief plot outline of the script to give you guys a better idea.

Our story is in the country of Illyria in the year 1929 and the start of the European Great depression, the king of Illyria has just died, further sending the country into turmoil, like the US, Illyrians are forced out of many jobs and crime rates begin to run high, so the new Illyrian King just now being blessed to the throne at a very bad time gives the police the full authority over controlling the newly formed Ghettos and shantytowns that have been formed on the countryside of Illyria.

Our story then deepens to a father and his son, they have just lost the sons mother and the mans wife to malnutrition the week earlier. One day there is a quarrel in one of the shantytowns and the fathers son goes missing, and he pleads to the police to start a search in the near by woods, the police reluctant because the loss of one child maybe a tragedy but it is not their main concern, controlling the ghetto is. So, the father sets out to find him.

Last edited:
Yes, this thread was kind of trying to see how much interest would we get. And maybe see who personally was interested.
I understand that. I hope you at least consider the situation from
the crew side. You didn't ask if people would be interested – you
offered jobs. As you know, from my personal perspective, I can't
really show any interest doing lighting for a movie shooting 2,000
miles away from me, a script that hasn't been written and no start
date. In fact, the start date might be a year or more from now. Many
things will change with crews in a year. Many things will change for
you in a year.
OUR project will not lead to any, ''traps''
Are you suggesting that Nick's may lead to a “trap”?
My project will not fail I can tell you that. We're just getting started...
You want people on indietalk to join you. Yet you are not willing to
join any other project. I know, I know, you're buzy writing. You can't
take three days away from the script to join in and show your support
to the very people you hope will support you.

I understand that. I hope you at least consider the situation from
the crew side. You didn't ask if people would be interested – you
offered jobs. As you know, from my personal perspective, I can't
really show any interest doing lighting for a movie shooting 2,000
miles away from me, a script that hasn't been written and no start
date. In fact, the start date might be a year or more from now. Many
things will change with crews in a year. Many things will change for
you in a year.

Are you suggesting that Nick's may lead to a “trap”?

You want people on indietalk to join you. Yet you are not willing to
join any other project. I know, I know, you're buzy writing. You can't
take three days away from the script to join in and show your support
to the very people you hope will support you.

No I'm just referencing him saying that this one may lead to a trap, and I just want to assure everyone we're on the right path writing wise, with this new screenplay.

DirectoRik, you have been very helpful in the early process of this, and for that I thank you.

Our writing crew is very excited about this screenplay.

also, directorik, will you be willing to read and critique the script as we write it?

With the new Community Project thread basically extinguishing this one ....

It's unfortunate that you feel this way. The two projects are quite different and can easily exist on this board without stepping on each other.

You are looking for a crew to come to you from this board. Nick is looking to get multiple crews from the diaspora to generate pieces of a larger story.

Pretty much an apples to broccoli comparison. There is space here for both approaches.

I'm sure Nick's "trap" comment was not intended with malice. But to be fair there are some common "warning signs" in your posts that others have already pointed out (Ray and Rik in particular) I hope you'll take that comment as it is intended - constructive criticism to help you finish your film.

Regarding your synopsis: sounds like it could be interesting, but bear in mind that period pieces are quite expensive to produce properly. Also, it sounds like you have a desire to shoot some action-y set pieces, which may be beyond scope for your budget. I could be making too many assumptions though, but something for your writing team to consider.

Have you considered keeping the setting and making the plot smaller and more personal to the leading family?

It's unfortunate that you feel this way. The two projects are quite different and can easily exist on this board without stepping on each other.

You are looking for a crew to come to you from this board. Nick is looking to get multiple crews from the diaspora to generate pieces of a larger story.

Pretty much an apples to broccoli comparison. There is space here for both approaches.

I'm sure Nick's "trap" comment was not intended with malice. But to be fair there are some common "warning signs" in your posts that others have already pointed out (Ray and Rik in particular) I hope you'll take that comment as it is intended - constructive criticism to help you finish your film.

Regarding your synopsis: sounds like it could be interesting, but bear in mind that period pieces are quite expensive to produce properly. Also, it sounds like you have a desire to shoot some action-y set pieces, which may be beyond scope for your budget. I could be making too many assumptions though, but something for your writing team to consider.

Have you considered keeping the setting and making the plot smaller and more personal to the leading family?

I'm sorry but could you explain the, "action-y set pieces" , please.

Also, why would you like to focus more on the family?

The thing I really want is the the depression really being in the back ground, (being what caused the shantytowns and the ghettos) and the police controlling the shanty town, if you know what I mean.

And, constructive criticism is always welcome.

Writing Update:

Great Day of writing today, our writing staff is feeling pretty good after today!!

Thanks guys!!

Great to hear, please let us see at least SOME lines you wrote, some dialogue, what the scene is about, etc. Why do you keep this secret?

We know, it would be just a draft, any script gets multiple revisions.

Last edited:
Bearing in mind I'm still working from possibly incorrect assumptions about your script ;) here goes:

I'm sorry but could you explain the, "action-y set pieces" , please.

"Set pieces" are basically big setups that require a lot of planning, choreography between moving elements, usually a good deal of set construction (an authentic looking European ghetto circa 1929 in your case), often a great deal of extras, etc etc. By Action-y, I just mean something with lots of choreographed action - chases fight scenes, etc.

Also, why would you like to focus more on the family?

Strictly budgetary/scope concerns - just one of a several ways to "write to your resources" as it were. That and I generally find that very low budget films that are to ambitious in the "action movie" department don't often work so well.

That's not to say that you shouldn't write precisely the film you want to make - because that's 100% what you should do - but that sometimes the film we want to make isn't necessarily the film we can make right now. For example, the Warchowski's wrote and directed Bound primarily because they were told no one would give them enough money to make the Matrix unless they had a track record of directing something with a smaller budget - even though they had a solid track record in writing and in graphic novels.

Really it's a question of how you write the father's search. If he's confronting lots of bad guys or something it's going to be more difficult to do on a lower budget than if it is treated as more of a personal/character story. For example, it's a lot easer to make "The Shop On Main Street" than it is to make "Defiance" on a self-funded indie budget. Both films are set in essentially the same setting (Nazi occupied regions of Eastern Europe) but are very different films.

Reference:

The Shop on Main Street: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059527/

Defiance: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034303/?ref_=nv_sr_2

The thing I really want is the the depression really being in the back ground, (being what caused the shantytowns and the ghettos) and the police controlling the shanty town, if you know what I mean.

Not sure I follow. You want to treat these items as backstory and focus on the search in the woods, or you want these items to be a prominent backdrop against which the story takes place?

And, constructive criticism is always welcome.

Happy to help, if any of that was helpful. Sorry if I read too much into your synopsis. Truthfully one could make a number of different films based on that synopsis. :)

Last edited:
I'm involved with a few films shooting over the next couple months and helping to co-write a script. Where do plan to shoot? I'm in southern Indiana, near Bloomington. If you'd like feedback on your script, I'd be willing to do so. If so, pm me.

Back