• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Recommendations for a boom pole?

Next month I'll be in production for a feature-length film, and want to supply my own equipment to the boom operators. While it will be pretty low budget, I want the audio to sound great. I've got two Røde NTG-2's and a JuicedLink CX211 to run them through, but don't yet have any boom poles. I'd rather not spend much money if I can avoid it (I would have no problem paying $100 per pole), but I would be wary against paying for something significantly more expensive unless there were a significant benefit in lowered handling noise.

When using an NTG-2, should I be worrying about the handling noise of the pole? I don't have very much boom pole knowledge, but I know that a shockmount is practically a necessity to keep handling noise down, so I plan on getting two of those — but do I need to be worrying as much as I am?

Aside from handling quality, I'd also prefer a collapsible boom pole over a painter's pole for ease of traveling, and an internally-cabled option would be quite nice (especially of the self-coiling variety, though I know those begin to get pricier). Does anyone have any insight or recommendations on what might be a good solution? Mostly I'm just wondering if when you use an NTG-2 how big of a difference is made in the quality of the boom pole.

Thanks so much.

the painter's pole will work fine, as long as you can mount the shock mount with no rattle. You can handle the cable with a velcros strap easy enough (or gaff tape if ya must)
That said, man there are alot of places I've saved some budget in my day. A boom pole aint one of em.

You are going to have to base your decisions on the following:

The longer the boom pole is the more expensive it will be. The more "sections" the less bend there will be.

I would not get a boom pole less than 12' for narrative film work, preferably at least 16'; trust me, you will need the length at some point.

The lighter the boom pole is the more expensive it will be.

A graphite pole will be the lightest and by far the most expensive, aluminum the heaviest and least expensive. Just keep in mind that someone will be holding this over their heads for hours at a time. When the arms get tired they shake and the shaking translates into potential noise.

Internal cabling is more expensive. Internal coiled cabling will be even more expensive.

Internal cabling will add a lot to the price, is it really that important?

I would figure on spending about $150 to $300 for a basic boom pole of decent quality.

Yes, the shockmount you choose will make a huge difference.

Why do you need two shotguns? You should have a hyper-cardioid for indoor locations. It is very rare that you will need two mics to record production sound.

I've used a simple mic stand. You know, the kind you can get at Guitar Center for $30 that bands use for live shows. It works alright, but it's only about 6 feet long, and we were very restricted for our shots, and could only have a few wide shots. If you plan on doing a lot of close ups, it works great. But for wide shots, I could never really get lower than the actor's knees.

Hi Sean,

I use a Gitzo G557 boompole with a Audio-Technica AT8410a shockmount.
The boompole collapses to 31.5 inches and extendes to 104.5 inches. The boompole does not have a mic. cable in it. It cost me $132.00 a few years back.
The shockmount was $42.00

You do need a shockmount on the end of any boompole. Without one, you will wish you had never lived to regret it. ;')

Terry

Last edited:
If used right an experienced person can make any boom pole work, to a point. As you said yes to the shock mount. I would agree also to have it as long as you can. Check on ebay to see if they have anything worth while to get. I don't know why you would need more than one boom pole tho. If you could explain that a little bit more it might make more sense. Otherwise if you were planning on spending $300 on three boom poles and just need one then you shouldn't have a problem finding a decent one that will do the job for $300:)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the response.

I suppose some clarification is necessary. I suppose I don't necessarily need more than one boom pole, but I was thinking of using shotguns only for recording audio, just to get dialogue and nothing more (all foley or environmental sounds re-done in post), with perhaps an omni-directional mic for the sake of reference material for syncing, and not actual audio recording.

It's a fairly dialogue-heavy piece, with people talking fast and interrupting each other often, and for most scenes, we'll be shooting with two cameras simultaneously. I figured that perhaps using two shotguns would bypass the problem of the boom operator not having enough time to reposition the mic between lines. However, two booms probably aren't necessary — if it seems like it'll work with the framing on both cameras, I wouldn't be opposed to someone with a hand-held shockmount or a mic stand supporting a shotgun (unless, that is, anyone here warns against it) pointed toward the secondary character(s).

I figure that we'll probably be OK with just about any decent boom pole as long as the shockmount is good, but an audio consultant has been telling me what he recommends (somewhat pricey stuff) and I thought I'd check in with the fine folks here to see what they use. Also, if anyone here thinks my idea of two shotguns is stupid, please let me know. This is the first piece I've made with a huge emphasis on good quality audio, so I probably don't know exactly what I'm doing. However, I already have the NTG-2's, so if it seems this setup will work, then great.

At this point, I suppose I don't care too much about internally-cabled poles. Lightness is an important factor, but I was thinking that with the amount of hands we'll have on set, we might be able to have multiple people taking shifts with the boom pole (unless that's a bad idea, too).

Thanks again!

I went for a 3m collapsable painter's pole, and a screw on adaptor that converted the thread to one suitable for mounting a mic/shock mount. The most expensive thing was was the shipping costs to get the adaptor from the US, but it still only cost me about £30 in total. Had no problems with sound quality, and although it wasn't fantastically light it wasn't a struggle to use.

When I bought my boom pole (B&H) I paid a little more for a lighter one, and I THANK GOD I did. There were a few times when I held that boom. Holding that sucker over my head for a few minutes at a time, I came to appreciate the lighter the better.

I think I paid $80. It was worth every penny.

buy a pro

hey, im usually all for diy stuff, save money, but, if your shooting a feature your gunna be workin long days, and im guessin your crew is workin for free, and believe me holding a diy boom up for 10 hours a day it gets pretty dam heavy especially if your not even gettin paid, so do yourself a favour and be nice to your crew, buy them proper equipment, or youll loose them all

Back