how to work with subjective critique?

A few people critiqued my work so far and most reviews were like: it's good but you have to add emotions or make a plot more interesting ( or try to love your characters) I don't know how to work this out. If someone would tell me: add this word or that line, it was be easy to work with.
It feels like I would need someone sitting next to me and go through each page to see how I could change it. I could spend months on trying to change it myself but then it could be even worse because I don't really get the point.
It's more like: I can write but I also seem to be very good at putting scenes and sketches together. I'm not really that superb at moving a story forward ( or at least not in a ninety minutes movie)

2-cent: Shorts and Features are different animals.... BUT.... I firmly believe that you need to be able to succeed in your role on a short film before you can attempt a feature. And by succeed... I don't mean "complete" or just finish the job. I mean create something that people truly enjoy. Provided you put in plenty of time on shorts and then features, you'll gradually develop your craft. After a few features, you'll know how to be "superb at moving a story forward."

Some times the only way to fix something is to abandon a bad idea and start again. Maybe you don't fix this one.... Maybe it just sucks and you burn it... then you start again with the goal of "more interesting" and such. If you feel like you can fix it... go for it. Then complete the project and start another one. Repeat process until you have mastered your craft.

Last edited:
Most critique was like: it's a good story but some scenes don't move the story forward and you could add scenes to make it more interesting. The question is: how do you know that you don't remove the best scenes, how do you know where to add something,....that's why I think it's not a bad idea to let starters have some experienced pros on their side to help them develop something.

At that point, aren't the experienced pros doing the development?

Perhaps spend more time reading about what makes great writing, what makes stories work.... read about pacing.... watch a movie with great pacing.

Bottom line... Sometimes you have to get committed to the script, go shoot the thing, and then learn that it does or doesn't work.... and you'll also know better how to fix it. Maybe the actor's delivery fixes the problem? Maybe they understand their character enough to change the wording and make it flow?

Maybe the person giving the critique doesn't have a freak'n clue what they're talking about. What makes them an expert? Are they professional writers with years of experience?

Quit questioning yourself and get back to the revisions!

The odd thing is: I did some readings and today someone recommended me to delete the scenes that made people laugh the most.
I mean: what if you introduce a character that doesn't move the story forward in a classical way. In my story it's more like: a normal guy wants to investigate a legend and on his way he meets people promising him the world, but they turn out to be cheaters. In the end scene they have no meaning anymore but they were necessary to make him realize that not all people can be trusted. Some would say: delete those scenes as it doesn't add anything, others would say: it was a great scene, changed the pace.

Imagine a story: a guy walking 5000 miles to achieve his goal. On his way he meets people offering him water, food, a place to sleep. They help him to achieve his goal but he also meets a crazy psychic telling him he should do weird stuff to hold up. Those scenes make people laugh but some would say it's redundant.

I don't know how to work this out

Take doctor training. It's really interesting. Some of their training is how to interpret what the patient is communicating.

You could be getting useless feedback, you could be getting feedback that you simply don't understand. Perhaps you're too needy.

I'm not really that superb at moving a story forward

A lot of people are like that. Go to a low level short film festival and just watch. You'll end up seeing a pattern if you watch enough of them.

It feels like I would need someone sitting next to me and go through each page to see how I could change it.

It might be exactly what you need.

Some times the only way to fix something is to abandon a bad idea and start again. Maybe you don't fix this one.... Maybe it just sucks and you burn it... then you start again with the goal of "more interesting" and such. If you feel like you can fix it... go for it.

Great advice.

it's a good story but some scenes don't move the story forward and you could add scenes to make it more interesting.

I'll help you interpret. Script is boring. Something's wrong. You need to work it out and fix it. Your relationship to the person giving the feedback can also give you an indicator to the feedback. Some people think it's polite to give positive (or not so negative feedback) if they don't want to risk offending the person. IE. They mean, "It's crap. It'd be easier to start again than to fix this pile of shit." instead they say, "I like it, but it's not working." or an actor, "I just love it. I could play this character."

Maybe the person giving the critique doesn't have a freak'n clue what they're talking about.

A very valid point.

In the end, you're the writer of your story. Part of your job is to know when your story is good, work out what is bad and work out how to fix it. Some writers cannot do it all. Sometimes you're going to need to get someone else to help.

Thank you.
I do think that team work would make me a better writer eventually.
I also think you shouldn't always follow the rules of screenwriting.
In general I don't even like watching movies and when I've been watching too many movies I always feel that I'm trying to copy and I'm much more genuine when I don't.
I just have those stories in me but I'm not afraid to say that I need the right person to help me, many movies haven't been written by just one person. Sometimes you need to swallow your pride and say: as a team we'd make a better movie than if we'd do it alone. So if anyone is interested in weird stuff, contact me ;)

I once saw a student movie and the audience was constantly laughing. He failed for it because he didn't follow any rules. It was like the audience was entertained from the first moment until the last but there wasn't enough story in it.

Back