Moving Out - Very Not Film Related

Extremely random thread here.. just saying... Kinda a personal thought kinda thing.. but I don't go to social forums, so you're subjected to this :3 you're my only internet folk.

ANYWAYS! I'm sure most of this forum are people older than me? Sooo I assume a lot of people here live on their own? Or at least not with their parents? XD

So when I moved out of my mother's and moved to Florida for college I thought I'd be depressed and have trouble adapting to taking care of myself. People always said when they move out of their parents house that life was hard for awhile, but I can't agree. Since moving out I've been perfectly fine. I keep well feed, place clean, etc, etc, etc...

I was getting lunch during film shoot time today (I already finished shooting and audio recording and had 20 minutes before the second 4 hours of today's class.. ugh) and when walking back to class I realized how perfectly fine I was without my parent's guidance. I talked to one of my classmates who is from Germany and he feels the same way.

It kind of makes me feel bad? Like when my mother asks how I'm doing without her... I honestly don't mind being away from home... And I don't want to say that of course, but I feel bad.

Anyone else have this feeling when they moved out? O-o

I think maybe when I was young like you (without knowing your age exactly), yeah, my feelings were maybe kinda sorta more like yours. But years later the moves I've made were emotionally trying...more like what those people you've spoken to have described.

Well, don't feel bad. It's good that you're feeling good about your new independence as you leave the nest. Go on and make a good life for yourself!

Just one note: assuming your mom is a good mom, my advice is don't take her for granted or forget about her, though. Hate so say it, and it might be difficult to imagine now, but someday, hopefully many decades from now, she might be gone. So enjoy and appreciate your loved ones while you can, while they're still here. I just mean that generally, in the years to come.

Good luck and enjoy this next stage of your life! :)

Moving out is a complicated thing. My first attempt failed miserably, which resulted in me spending a few months feeling sorry for myself, followed by a few semesters in a college where I literally slept through classes, eventually leading to me packing up, moving to a different state, being homeless for a couple months and eventually getting on my feet.

So, yeah, my feelings about leaving home are pretty complex, but it's a step we all need to take. It's one of the parts of growing up that I really loved, go glad to hear you made that step!

Anyone else have this feeling when they moved out? O-o

If you had a choice in moving out then you're privileged, no matter how it pans out for you, and should be glad for your freedom and liberties. Some people didn't have that luxury, nor have the fall back option of returning 'home'.

I suppose it might have felt like a bigger step for those that chose it, as they would've had the capacity for self doubt, whereas it was easy for me in that respect at least, as there was no choice or chance to doubt whether I was ready or not.

Seriously, if you ever think life gets tough, just open your eyes and look around you. If there's nothing to help you put things in context and feel better about yourself, then you're probably living in heaven and haven't woken up yet.

Last edited:
the point of parenting is to teach independence. if you're doing fine without her than that means she did a good job!

Regarding A.D.'s comment

my life started going downhill around 26.. I'm 31 now and the trend continues. So I try to appreciate how things are because no matter how bad they get I know tomorrow they'll be even worse so appreciate today. and uhh.. get a bucket list. I just have one thing on mine, my superhero action comedy that I am working towards. Hopefully I can make this happen in the next year or two, I don't really care what happens to me after that. Life can be pretty harsh

Last edited:
Back