Thinking of My IT Friends

Best quote of the article:

"My experience so far," he says, "has been that every time you move onto the next stage, it presents an exciting opportunity for it to fail or die in a new and exciting way."

Wow!
I guess I am part of the drive by poster crowd!
Gah!
Lololol!

Been layin' low for semi-therapeutic reasons.

However, that doesn't mean I don't love you and care about my IT friends.
Been ghosting here almost daily, letting new blood pay their dues.

That said,...

At the forum I haunted before this one, the one that got me into filmmaking when I realized 3/4 films are directed by their writers, they have an annual tradition of hosting a horror themed October One Week Challenge (OWC) to write a six to ten page screenplay.

http://www.simplyscripts.net/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-OWC1014/m-1413583373/s-0/

It's open to anyone and everyone.
Submissions are anonymous for about a week or two during which other screenwriters post comments on both the technical format issues as well as story structure.
There's a very strong bias towards writing for winning screenwriting contests, so bring your A-game.
This is your opportunity to write completely disregarding budget and resources. Go balls out!
You'll learn a lot about a lot.
WARNING: reviews range from benign to brutal.

Deadline for uploading your PDF submission is midnight EST next Friday.

Good luck & best wishes!

Mara,
Thank you for the headzup!
I'll check out 'Surviving Family.'
Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
I always knew you were watching over us Ray...

Found something else for you guys:
Why Novelists Don't Write Films
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20389677_20862863,00.html

Interesting stuff. I couldn't read the whole article because of EW's paywall, but I think it's a classic case of there are true examples and there are false examples.

Cross-discipline writing has always been incredibly hard. If you look at the history of English literature, the number of writers who wrote classic novels as well as classic poems can be counted on pretty much one hand (Thomas Hardy, DH Lawrence...), and there are really obvious examples of where great poets fail with novels (Plath, Larkin) and vice versa (although the poetry tends to be unpublished).

Further back, you get a more jack-of-all-trades mentality, because, basically, everything was poetry and the novel form didn't start until Defoe. So Shakespeare, Marlowe, Jonson and the Elizabethans and Restoration writers seem versatile, but, again, they're really just single discipline writers.

Two of my favourite modern writers – Cormac McCarthy and Don DeLillo – have written crap screenplays in the last 10 years. What does this mean? Are they secretly crappy writers? Or are they just suited to the novel form and the novel form alone?

Thinking of you too rayw. i'm at drive-by post/read status lately as been busy learning and shooting... As winter approaches will try to check in more often though.

Back