• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriting

Will this idea work,
A love story between a drug addict with anxiety disorder (male) and a cop (female) .How it changed his life and a tragic ending

Yes it very much could work. It's all about the execution and what happens between the opening scene and the last scene.

As to your follow-up question, my simple, generic response? Hook us. Give us 5 to 10 pages that introduces the "world", sets the tone, introduces the principal players, throws down the gauntlet 'so to speak' and makes us want to buy in to the story you're about to tell us.

Make sure you have a solid ending and work from there.

BTW, drug addiction is closely linked with many psychological disorders - major depression, PTSD, bi-polar disorder, etc. in addition to anxiety. Many drug users/alchoholics are what the mental health community refers to self-medicating, using the drugs/alchohol to "feel better" and/or to suppress unwanted emotions. So resolving the addiction still leaves the underlying mental illness. For example, without the crutch of drugs a person suffering from chronic depression start thinking even more strongly about suicide.

Make sure you do LOTS of research.

Make sure you have a solid ending and work from there.

BTW, drug addiction is closely linked with many psychological disorders - major depression, PTSD, bi-polar disorder, etc. in addition to anxiety. Many drug users/alchoholics are what the mental health community refers to self-medicating, using the drugs/alchohol to "feel better" and/or to suppress unwanted emotions. So resolving the addiction still leaves the underlying mental illness. For example, without the crutch of drugs a person suffering from chronic depression start thinking even more strongly about suicide.

Make sure you do LOTS of research.
Yeah that is how i would like to show about the effects it has on a person's mind

Yeah it is a cliche but that is how most of the addicts feel as per my understanding.
I am thinking about starting it with a funny banter between the protagonist and his friend where one of them feels that he can easily beat it while the other is cynical about it, although they understand the truth they joke about it and the scene ends

I have started writing it but was not satisfied with what I penned so decided to start afresh

Don't worry about being satisfied with the first draft, just get everything on paper/screen as fast as you can. What's important to get your ideas solidified. After that you can edit to your hearts content.

Michelangelo was supposed to have said that the sculpture was already in the marble; all he did was remove the unneeded bits. As a sound designer I subscribe to the same ethic when I begin, I throw everything at and create my own "marble." Then I start whittling away the "unneeded bits" and modify/replace things as required.

I have started writing it but was not satisfied with what I penned so decided to start afresh
That's what writing is - starting afresh when you are not satisfied.
You have passion for this idea, I hope you write it.
It would be great if i can find some one to partner with on this .Can anyone suggest how I can find one?

Just recently a writer posted here saying he wants to write with
someone; HERE'S THE LINK
I believe there a different kind of writers: some like to write alone and others like to co write feeding of each others ideas. I am more in the second group but havent yet found the people to cowrite with.

One of the problems with a writing partner is finding the project you
BOTH have passion for. You would like to partner with someone to
write YOUR story. I suspect nielsTRY would like a partner to write his
story.

Maybe you can co-write with him on his idea and he will then partner
with you to write your story.

My recommendation for the opening, speaking generically, is to have an initiating event. An action. As has been said above, just talking about wanting to kick an addiction is a bit cliche' if not a bit "on the nose" so to speak.

I would consider starting with introducing your characters in their current life. A day in the life of your main character/protag as an addict.

Then you should have an initiating event or action that changed the trajectory of your character/protagonist onto the path (in this case, kicking their addiction). But be aware that this too is full of cliches like "friend ODs" or "gets arrested stealing to fund the addiction", etc. but that doesn't mean you can't use that, just that you need to execute it well.

So again my recommendation is to show us the path your characters are on, introduce a triggering or initating event or action that changes that trajectory and then we're on the path of the story you want to tell.

Last edited:
My recommendation for the opening, speaking generically, is to have an initiating event. An action. As has been said above, just talking about wanting to kick an addiction is a bit cliche' if not a bit "on the nose" so to speak.

I would consider starting with introducing your characters in their current life. A day in the life of your main character/protag as an addict.

Then you should have an initiating event or action that changed the trajectory of your character/protagonist onto the path (in this case, kicking their addiction). But be aware that this too is full of cliche's like "friend ODs" or "get's arrested stealing to fund the addiction", etc. but that doesn't mean you can't use that, just that you need to execute it well.

So again my recommendation is to show us the path your characters are on, introduce a triggering or initating event or action that changes that trajectory and then we're on the path of the story you want to tell.

I think that's a great idea. I would do some google searches like ... "drug forum most desperate thing done to get high"
Do some research and find a few dramatic examples of addicts at their lowest points.

Back