• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to avoid Mary Sues in Screenplay

Mary Sues. In the normal literature those characters are the most hated one. But what is a Mary Sue? For those who doesn’t know what this is, I explain it. Those character can do everything, are popular by the first view. Generally, they’re like a god. However, this isn’t good for the story. So, do you know some tips to avoid it.

P.S.: Yah! I know those typical tips like give them flaws, etc. But sometimes you forget them while you’re writing!

P.S.: Yah! I know those typical tips like give them flaws, etc. But sometimes you forget them while you’re writing!
I have a question for you;

How can you forget to write a compelling, interesting character?

I understand that most of the time a first draft is filled with cliches
and generally poor writing. But don't you remember to fix those
things as you rewrite?
So, do you know some tips to avoid it.
I'll give you some tips after you answer.

Nobody is perfect. Everybody has flaws, so it is not realistic to write a perfect person. So you can write your loveable/memorable characters with flaws and they will be even that more lovable, and realistic, to boot.

Great point re flaws! When we were about to go into production on my first feature (Surviving Family), a colleague pointed out that the main guy was too perfect. So I developed a flaw that is a "reveal" at about the 3/4 point. Not only is it one of the best scenes (and super important to the character), the actor loved it.

Back