• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

HDMI to SDI Converter?

Hello everyone, my name is Jay Lewis. I'm an independent filmmaker who's looking to one-up his visuals, and hit a brick wall. Here's the situation;

I'm looking to pair my a7S II with an Odyssey 7Q+ for 2K 4:4:4 in DPX / Prores 4444XQ and DCI 4K 4:2:2 in Prores 422HQ. Those are the O7Q+'s capabilities with the a7S II if it's connected through SDI - significantly better than the internal limitation of 4:2:0 @ XAVC-S.

However, the a7S II doesn't have an SDI output, only a Micro-D HDMI. if I opted to get a Micro-D HDMI to HDMI cable and go straight into the O7Q+'s HDMI input, I'd limit it's 2K 4:4:4 DPX / 4444XQ capabilities to 1080p 4:2:2 Prores 422HQ.

So I'm currently looking for an HDMI to SDI Converter (Preferably a model with x2 3G-SDI DUAL-LINK outs) that is capable of transmitting a 4:4:4 pixel subsampling signal. So far the closest I've gotten is the Blackmagic Design Mini Converter, which outputs 4:2:2.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Back