Antihero got a limited theatrical engagement

Antihero will be screening at the awesome reRun theater, in Brooklyn, NY, opening Sept. 21st! As with all reRun releases, this will be a one-week engagement.

I almost posted this in the Promo section, because of course I do hope that this thread will help get the word out, and that's fine if any mod wants to move it over there.

However, I placed it in the Distro/Sales/Marketing section because I'd really like any advice that anyone would like to give out. Whether you're a seasoned veteran or a total newb, if you've got an idea for how I can get more butts in the seats, I'd love to hear it.

I don't have any money for marketing, so this will have to be more internet-type stuff. Of course I'll be soliciting people on FB and twitter to get the word out. Are there any other websites/networks I should be hitting up?

And reviews -- this is actually one of the main reasons I wanted to get into reRun, as it will likely mean that we get a review by the NY Times. But now I'm feeling stupid for having not contacted a bunch of indie review sites. I shall definitely commence contacting indie websites, immediately. And though they normally take a long time to get a review, maybe the pending limited theatrical release will motivate them to do it sooner?

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do, other than to arrive in NYC a few days before the release, and pass out fliers. I guess I should definitely try to get something written up by any underground press. Any New Yorkers have any advice for online or offline local press that I should contact?

Lastly, I hope anyone in the NYC area can make it. I'll be in attendance for Q&A. :D

MDM, I hear you on the financial woes. Summer is so slow at my place of work that I was basically just saved by my former roommate moving back in for a few months. Had that not happened, I wouldn't be typing this (cuz utilities would've been cut off).

Mara, I forgot you live in the area. That's great! And thanks for the interest, Cameron. :)

I'll definitely post all the details, as the day nears.

Congrats, the rerun is well regarded here in NYC. You should ask the theater if they send out screeners of your film to the media for review. If they do then that's great. If they don't then you need to get cracking on your own to get screeners to the film critics at the Times, Voice, etc. If you have at least a week-long engagement (which you do) and you get a screener to the critics in due time, then you will absolutely get reviews during the week that your film opens from the daily and weekly publications. Normally a publicist does all this, but you can also do it yourself.

You should reach out to Indiewire and get them a screener too. The last NYC release I had, Indiewire gave me a big write-up and interviewed me, it was very helpful. Granted we had a publicist, but if not I would have contacted them myself. And if you are playing the rerun they will get back to you, trust me.

As far as advertising, sure, you can stand around and hand out flyers, but there is a guy who specializes in putting them up in the right places that you might want to look into. Just google "martin flyerguy nyc" and you'll find him. He goes around on a bike and puts up your flyer in businesses that your target audience would frequent. I'm not sure if he does Brooklyn, but if you have him put up flyers in the East Village in Manhattan it would be optimal. Don't bother with any other parts of Manhattan. I think his rates run from like 200-700 depending on the job. Something to think about.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Congrats, the rerun is well regarded here in NYC. You should ask the theater if they send out screeners of your film to the media for review. If they do then that's great. If they don't then you need to get cracking on your own to get screeners to the film critics at the Times, Voice, etc. If you have at least a week-long engagement (which you do) and you get a screener to the critics in due time, then you will absolutely get reviews during the week that your film opens from the daily and weekly publications. Normally a publicist does all this, but you can also do it yourself.

You should reach out to Indiewire and get them a screener too. The last NYC release I had, Indiewire gave me a big write-up and interviewed me, it was very helpful. Granted we had a publicist, but if not I would have contacted them myself. And if you are playing the rerun they will get back to you, trust me.

As far as advertising, sure, you can stand around and hand out flyers, but there is a guy who specializes in putting them up in the right places that you might want to look into. Just google "martin flyerguy nyc" and you'll find him. He goes around on a bike and puts up your flyer in businesses that your target audience would frequent. I'm not sure if he does Brooklyn, but if you have him put up flyers in the East Village in Manhattan it would be optimal. Don't bother with any other parts of Manhattan. I think his rates run from like 200-700 depending on the job. Something to think about.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

You're awesome. All of that rather specific info is much appreciated. I've sent press-kits to the theater, which they are forwarding to the local press. I do not believe Indiewire is included on their list, so I'll contact them. And the Martin Flyer reference -- that looks like a great idea.

Thanks!

Congratulations, CF!
grpnanadance.gif

No-budget internet social media humpin' and pumpin' sounds like you've got it all covered.
You might also want to consider, if you haven't already, e-contacting everyone who's been involved with the past display & distribution of 'Antihero' under the pretense of including them in on the evolution and progression of the film's development and what happened after they came in contact with it.
- They MIGHT consider an encore showing.
- Anyone on the fence previously may find this as some camel-straw validation, as you identified with your local market.
- Any reason to get your name or the film's name in front of people is good.

Marketing and promotion have 'anti-nothing' to do with being thoughtful and conservative.
You gotta think like a brainless kid with attention deficit having zero regard for propriety.
Just start babbling and blabbing.

Maybe I missed it, but how did 'Antihero' get picked up by the ReRun Theater to begin with?

http://vimeo.com/25387366

Might wanna go youtube with that promo trailer video, as well, Along with some still shots available on the web for a image search.
And then start telling everyone about them.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ray. The trailer's on youtube, I just never post that here (or anywhere, really), cuz I hate youtube. My most recent reason for hating youtube -- my music video is a couple frames out of sync with the audio. WTF?!

This definitely isn't my local market. I live in Richmond, VA, and the theater is in Brookly, NY. But yeah, I'm definitely hoping it serves as some sort of validation. Other films that have screened at reRun have used it as a springboard for distribution. That was really the whole reason I contacted them, in the first place (that's how it got picked up -- I contacted them and sent a DVD).

And there are a handful of stills for people to peruse. I do appreciate all of your advice, of course. :)

Right now, I'm trying to figure out where to go on the internet. I need to find message boards that might specifically cater to people in that region, as well as finding the right twitter accounts to bombard. Hmm...

Big Freaken Congratulations!!

I had a looksee at ReRun and it looks like a very nice place indeed ...

The ReBar looks like a dangerous place to spend way to much money ...

I had a chat to team Fillim and we all agree that we would love to help you out!

We have just opened an office in NYC ... literally 1 week ago ... and this maybe helpful in someway ... I will explore this option a little further ...

At the very least, if you are happy for us to, we will shout it out through all our social stuff ... I can use the EventBright link yeah?

Big Freaken Congratulations!!

I had a looksee at ReRun and it looks like a very nice place indeed ...

The ReBar looks like a dangerous place to spend way to much money ...

I had a chat to team Fillim and we all agree that we would love to help you out!

We have just opened an office in NYC ... literally 1 week ago ... and this maybe helpful in someway ... I will explore this option a little further ...

At the very least, if you are happy for us to, we will shout it out through all our social stuff ... I can use the EventBright link yeah?

Hey, that's very cool of you! Thanks a million, of course I'd love any help you guys can offer. And yes, the eventbrite page is good to share. People can also choose to "like" the FB page, if they want to get updates, reminders.

Congrats on opening the NYC office. That should help your business a lot. I like your webpage, and it's definitely one I've got my eye on.

Cheers! :)

My movie (Surviving Family) is screening at the Toronto Indie Fest (smaller than/separate from the bigger Toronto International Film Festival) on Sept 10. 700 seat theater. Ugh! I'm trying targetted facebook advertising pitched at people within 10 miles of Toronto, who list independent movies as one of their interests.

Will it work? I don't know. But I'll let you know what, if any, success I have with it.

Thanks Mara, I look forward to hearing your results.

PTP -- I'm trying to PM you, but your inbox is full. I've got the next couple days off, making it easier to get to the post office; need a mailing address. :)

Back