Antihero got a limited theatrical engagement

Antihero will be screening at the awesome reRun theater, in Brooklyn, NY, opening Sept. 21st! As with all reRun releases, this will be a one-week engagement.

I almost posted this in the Promo section, because of course I do hope that this thread will help get the word out, and that's fine if any mod wants to move it over there.

However, I placed it in the Distro/Sales/Marketing section because I'd really like any advice that anyone would like to give out. Whether you're a seasoned veteran or a total newb, if you've got an idea for how I can get more butts in the seats, I'd love to hear it.

I don't have any money for marketing, so this will have to be more internet-type stuff. Of course I'll be soliciting people on FB and twitter to get the word out. Are there any other websites/networks I should be hitting up?

And reviews -- this is actually one of the main reasons I wanted to get into reRun, as it will likely mean that we get a review by the NY Times. But now I'm feeling stupid for having not contacted a bunch of indie review sites. I shall definitely commence contacting indie websites, immediately. And though they normally take a long time to get a review, maybe the pending limited theatrical release will motivate them to do it sooner?

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do, other than to arrive in NYC a few days before the release, and pass out fliers. I guess I should definitely try to get something written up by any underground press. Any New Yorkers have any advice for online or offline local press that I should contact?

Lastly, I hope anyone in the NYC area can make it. I'll be in attendance for Q&A. :D

Yay you! 4-walling your work is a great feeling! Congrats :) A history of the filmmaker's/actors' journey in this particular endeavor (along with each of the key figures involved) would also be in order.

Your logline (for use in newspapers and whatnot -- words cost money there). Your summary.

Links to previous work (that you want to have considered as part of your history).

1) What does theater itself do, for promotion?

There's gotta be all kinds of community papers down there to plop an ad into. Also, local craigslist. Maybe a small amount of $$ for localised ads/events on facebook. On top of the usual event thing. Maybe there are local area podcasters with current event shows, or local access shows to plug on/ be interviewed on.

With 6 weeks to showtime, you'd be wanting to focus specifically on the area it's showing; not so much promotion in general. For now, anyway.

Theater looks pretty cool. Why you do this, btw?

Thanks, guys. :)

Except for you, Theres, you can suck a bag of dicks.

This isn't a 4-wall screening. For many months, I gave serious thought to making a big 4-wall drive, but ultimately decided that my time is better spent on other things. This is an actual theatrical release, humble though it may be. :D

Zensteve -- why would I do this? Why on Earth wouldn't I?!

EDIT: Theres's comment has been removed -- he/she was spamming, and it looked like a virus.

Last edited:
This is fantastic news, congratulations!

I think it's going to be a week or two too late for me to catch it in NYC but I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who do go for the experience.

you can suck a bag of dicks.

bagOfDicks.jpg

Congrats CF! Great news. Also, shouldn't the distributor's take care about the marketing?

Also, it would be great to hear from you on how did you manage to get a theatrical distribution? Your experience and suggestions in this aspect? :)

Congrats CF! Great news. Also, shouldn't the distributor's take care about the marketing?

Also, it would be great to hear from you on how did you manage to get a theatrical distribution? Your experience and suggestions in this aspect? :)

Yes, the theater does do their own advertising, but it's not much. So far as I can tell, their audience is largely made up of regulars who already know about the theater. And then of course on top of that almost built-in audience, it's up to me to bring in people who might be new to the theater but that I can attract with my movie.

I wouldn't call reRun a distributor. They're just a theater who has chosen to screen my movie, and of course I'm very happy for that.

I'm hoping that this might lead to distribution, though theatrical distribution is a bit of a pipe dream. I'd be happy with VOD. :)

That is filled with fantastic! When do they need the press kit by? A month and a half should be time to get a few reviews together. I see you've got an alternative newsweekly there in richmond (http://www.altweeklies.com/aan/Directories/Newsweeklies), might be worth a phonecall to see if you can't get an expedited review, if you haven't from them. Hell, they might even do a feature on you, depending on the editorial staff (the City Paper here in Pittsburgh is pretty good with reviews and features on local film/art/music people).

Awesome stuff! I hope the run goes well!

Wow, that's a great list. Thanks, Josh!

Style Weekly wrote up a nice piece for us when we had the unofficial world premiere at a local theater.

I'm actually planning on using this NY screening as a reason to convince one of our local theaters to screen us for a week. Maybe the NY screening kind of legitimizes us enough that they might consider it. Should that happen, then I'd definitely be hitting up both Style and the Richmond Times Dispatch for reviews. But that's just hypothetical at the time being.

From the list you posted, there actually is a paper in NY I'm going to contact. The Village Voice has written reviews for other movies that screened at reRun, so hopefully they can do that for us.

Thanks, guys! :D

PTP, I don't know what it means to "DM with some deets", otherwise I'd be all over that. ;)

H44, DVD distribution would be fantastic. But it is true that profit was never the goal of this movie. Mostly, it was just kind of my way to scream to the world, "Hey, look what I can do!". Ironically, now that some people are finally seeing it, I'm like, "damn, I can do much better than that."

Anyway, there are a number of different ways in which I think this film is already serving it's originally-intended purpose, and if I can find a way to make even a few thousand bucks, that'd be gravy. :)

Back