• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Does it look real?

I have done this to practice my skills. It's an integration of a 3d model in real footage.
Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6JEofZg46k

You say yellow digger/excavator because it doesn't look real or because it's the center object on the scene?
If something doesn' look real here could you explain what?
I just wanted a few more answers... then I'll post a frame grab from the original footage.

:yes:

You say yellow digger/excavator because it doesn't look real or because it's the center object on the scene?
If something doesn' look real here could you explain what?
I just wanted a few more answers... then I'll post a frame grab from the original footage.

:yes:

Because of the movement around :15.

IMO its the tractor. Because: 1. There is no labeling, which isn't and indicator but makes me suspicious. 2. At 00:00:14, if you pause it there, everything else has motion blur from your camera movement and the tractor doesn't. At least, not the same as the others.

I'm guessing the yellow construction thing. I saw it move/jump on first watch.

The only doubt in my mind is because it was the center object and I thought that would be a little too obvious. But that's psychology not CG. :P

But seriously, if I wasn't looking for the 'fake' one, I probably would have written off the movement as a glitch or something. It really does look great. :)

And the answer is....

GNMLx.jpg

Yellow digger!

You did a good job. When you ask to find mistakes people will find them. If you had never asked, it would not have been noticeable. It is... awesome.

Very well done... when the camera comes right down on top of it, there's something slightly off about the motion, it happens twice... but really well done, may just be something about the contact shadow being hidden and not quite large enough, or a perspective issue with the match move... but really close to exactly right :)

I looks as though it lifts off the ground in the two spots.

I like it a lot. The element has been nicely lit to the plate. Ok, the MM has a problem, fix that and you have a nice looking shot.

It's often helpful to view your work while smacking it around with a large gamma & white/black point adjustments applied. Then, scrutinize the CG against the rest of the plate. In this case, you'll find that the shadow density on the table doesn't match the real ones, and the shadow color (on my uncalibrated laptop) looks pretty green compared to those in the plate.

I'd also make sure your reflection in the table isn't a little too sharp.

Also, have a peek at your overall sharpness of the element itself. The CG edges stand out when compared to the surrounding toys. You might consider breaking it up a bit by adding noise to the whole comp and a slight promist filter to the highlights.

Again, this is a good looking shot. As your boss ;) , I wouldn't 'final' this shot quite yet, but you're doing all the right things. Take another whack at it and resubmit. This is close! :clap:

Rok

Last edited:
Back