Car mounts

Hi guys, I've got a couple of car chase scenes in the script I'm working on and wondered if anyone here has any experience of different camera mounting structures for interesting external angles.

It will be a low budget production and I am DIY'ing all the required gear where possible, so it would be great if anyone has any pics of thier setups/rigs for different camera positions, for mounting either on the cars being filmed, or a film unit car with crew onboard.

Low door angles, wheel arches, bumpers, bonnets/hoods, overhead follow cams etc... anywhere you can bolt a camera to, really. Any and all ideas welcome, it would just be cool to see what contraptions the IT'ers have come up with. :)

Thanks!

For a front looking back view low to the roadway, I like to rig up a mount to the trailer hitch of my truck using a 1/4-20 bolt, 2 big fender washers and a nut. You attach the tripod head to the draw bar and secure it into the hitch. If it is a bit loose, use wood shims (available at any hardware store) to wedge the sides of the draw bar to tighten the fit. You can even get really creative and use a draw bar that is height adjustable.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming. :)

Yeah. a go-pro would be dead handy. I might have to pick one up.

Thanks for the vids IndiePaul. I can't watch them yet thanks to my bb here, but will take a look when my net is up and running properly. Ta.

Hostess Tray:

prod_567_1.jpg

Not a difficult thing to mimic with a DIY version for a lightweight camera.

hostess-tray.jpg

Neither of those are mine, though I do have one around. Needs some aks though.

Back