Does the Canon Rebel T3i have good enough video?

I'm shooting a short film and the whole time I've had my eye on using the Canon 5D MkIII for obvious reasons. Well it's looking like I'm basically not going to have any funding because every avenue I've tried has failed. The DP that I'm using does have a Canon Rebel T3i which would cost us nothing but I'm concerned at the video quality of it. I realize it shoots in full 1080p HD but I'm more worried with having the cinematic look versus it turning out like some crappy family vacation home video. Will the T3i cut it or should I keep holding out till I can find a way to get the MkIII?

"full frame" is equivilent to a 35mm still photo on film (horizontally), but it's significantly larger than motion picture 35mm frame sizes where the film runs vertically through the camera.

APS-c is virtually the same size as a super35mm frame though. That varies somewhat as there is no exact standard APS-C size, they're all slightly different.

No you can't. You've only got the presets AWB, tungsten, sunlight. 8 or so of them.

Only other option is photographing something 'white' and then it adjusts, but there is no way to put in the actual numbers

This is exactly the right way. Its photography\cinematography 101.

Use a white or grey card to set WB.

Inputting numbers is just silly and meaningless as you have no way of KNOWING if your numbers are actually correct for the lighting setup.

for the t2i do this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlPszRgHhUM

Inputting numbers is just silly and meaningless as you have no way of KNOWING if your numbers are actually correct for the lighting setup.

Right - even if you know the temperature your lights are supposed to be, they're never precise. Even in something like direct sunlight, a custom white balance will give you a more truly balanced image than a preset or temperature value.

I use the T3i for everything I create and for me Magic Lantern and Neat Video will become your best friends for getting the image you want without the digital grain.

Back