HD shooting format

Im making my first documentary and am about to purchase/rent/beg/borrow/ steal a hi def camera. A cinematographer told me that festivals only accept submissions shot in 24p. An editor told me thats bunk, that 24p needs to be tweaked for television broadcast, and that I should only shoot in 29.97, and only interlaced. Since I would like to make something that can be submitted to both festivals and tv broadcast, can someone tell me what I should be shooting in? Ive used the Sony Z1U and kinda like it, especially since I may be able to borrow it for free. Plus its tape, which settles my nerves. But it shoots i. Also looking at Panasonic AG-HPX170, but am nervous about working with memory cards. Let me emphasize that I am not interested in the super fine differences between the cameras, but just want to know which HD format is acceptable to both festivals and tv broadcast. But if you have a preference for user friendly HD prosumer camera, do tell!

I run a film festival, and ESPECIALLY with documentaries we have many that are 30fps 60i. There's no 24p requirement, narrative or documentary, in almost all film festivals I know of.

But 24p does lend itself more to narrative, and 30p or 60i tends to lend itself better to docs.

I don't blame you for wanting to work with tape. Trust me, especially on your first couple of docs, what you might gain with a card isn't worth it over tape.

My suggestion is try to get great lighting/interviews, great cut tos, and great sound.

First of all, read this so you understand what interlacing is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace

My recommendation is that if you are shooting a documentary that is meant to go anywhere but the web, and you're shooting at 29.97fps, shoot it in HD (unless you're shooting for a TV station or something that requires a 4:3 format in which case you're going to have to at least adjust your framing for that) and interlaced. DVD (and BluRay) players natively can deinterlace footage, and if you want it to be on PBS or something they want it 29.97 interlaced.

The only two times when progressive really is the answer is at 24p so as to simulate film framerate, and also to provide a clean workflow to a filmout, or if you are going straight to the web where everything is progressive. Otherwise, film interlaced, and deinterlace in post if going to the web. You will lose a little quality but since you're originating in HD, it won't matter when its scaled down for the web.

The Z1u is a nice camera, It was actually the pro model of the FX1 which was Sony first ever prosumer HD camcorder. It's certainly good enough for anything that you or I would need to shoot a documentary on.

Last edited:
Back