NEED ACTORS

If this isnt in the correct place please move it to the right location.

Does anyone know where I might look to find actors willing to work on my no-budget short. I googled (actors

dallas) but all I got was some iffy looking agancy sites. I found 2 others called Shooting People and Mandys TV

and Film. Any ideas where I could look to find some sort of free registery or something like that. I would just

check out universities, but I need older actors say, 40-55 year old range. Any help would be great. Thanks

Guys/Gals.

I'll agree craigslist if probably your best bet since you don't know anyone.

I'll just say this though, I've done a lot of things through craigslist (no, not the adult services section) and, besides buying stuff, I can't say that it's been all that positive. I don't know what it is about that site, but you'll get a lot of flaky people unless you are paying them.

Another suggestion would be to check out your local community theatre or colleges with acting programs and put up a flyer. Ask for references unless you get an awesome vibe from them and they have something to back it up.

I found 5 resumes on craigs, but I did find some nice things on the "meetup" site. Joined one called Dallas film makers. I saw theyre into the 48 hr. competition. looks decently active. I'll probably check that out.

Have you checked the Dallas Theater Center or the DFW Actors Network?

I did look at the DFW Actors Network, but it looks ike an agency, as in they want money. Which I dont have. :) I

checked out the DTC but at first glance I didnt see a place for actors. I'll check more closely, but it looks like a

theatre company.

More than ever before, people are relying on the internet.
Personal, face to face contact is quickly being replaced.
Sure, you can put a notice on craigslist and get replies.
But people still love to help people. A beginning director
of a no budget short film looking for actors can learn so
much and make life long contacts by actually going down
there in person and talking to someone.

Actors want to act. Just like you, who would love to get paid
to direct, actors also want to get paid to act. But, again, just
like you, actors are willing to act for free - for the right project
and the right person. Better to know and understand the
person through a craigslist ad or face to face?

Getting to know the artistic director or manager of a local
theater company is a great thing. Getting to know on a face
to face, personal level a local casting director is a great thing
for an aspiring movie director. Don't think of finding a few
actors for this one short film. Think of building contacts and
relationships that will last years and through many projects.

Youre right. There are some meetups that I was on the fence about. I gonna go. What do i have to lose?? Guess I can be that creepy new guy hanging around the theater. :)

I would just check out universities, but I need older actors say, 40-55 year old range.

That's how I got my first acting gigs (albeit in my 30's at the time), but you'll find actors from all backgrounds & age ranges at your local universities.

They won't necessarily be students, though. If your local college/uni has *any* kind of a/v department, there'll be a place for non-student actors to drop off headshots/resumes/contact info, etc. This is where many student filmmakers will start casting from - the active piles of materials right there in front of them.

It's great for non-college age actor-wannabees to get their start in, and it's great for college filmmakers 'cos they have access to a wide swathe of choices.

As soon as my hair grows out (and I get new headshots - lol bald), I'm going that route again for a while. Lots of fun, and it's wonderful to meet new, energetic people.

Another vote here for mandy.com - I've used them in the past and gotten good results - actors pay to put their resumes on there so productions get to use it for free - got over 100 responses to my last casting call.

Sweet, I didnt realize Mandy's was free for producers!! I have it in my Favs., but thought you had to pay.

Thanks Zen!! That clears up the Uni. thing very well. So I'm gonna try that route as well.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions!!!

Back