Paperwork

Just an organizational question here - what do you folks do with all the paperwork generated from a film? What's your filing system? Is there anything you don't keep after it's over? Please let me know - thanks!

bumping this...

No one files papers anymore? My Line producer gave me a big binder of stuff, plus I had my own files. What do you folks usually save after a film wraps... and after post is completed? I just want to start off with an efficient system for my productions, and moving forward.

Thanks!

what do you folks do with all the paperwork generated from a film?

Shove it all in a box, once it's done. Put box in corner. Never open box again.

Heck, some of the stuff I've done had such minimal paperwork it fits in a manilla folder - got a sock-drawer full of those over at my parent's house.

I simply have never been asked to provide documentation for anything, at later dates. I'd probably organise it a lot better if I ever got asked for any of it.

I was thinking more along the lines of looking at it again myself, as a reference for future projects.

Also, I'm sure it would be prudent to hold on to all the insurance paperwork, releases, contracts, and paperwork like that.

Last edited:
Each film gets its own binder, and all the paperwork goes in there. Eventually I add photos, press kit pages, media clippings, DVD artwork, a couple of DVDs for safe keeping, an original unmarked script, the working script, e-mail communication transcripts, even my legal pad handwritten notes. Makes for a nice library.

That paperwork becomes the lifeblood of a copy machine if you ever sell your film for distribution.... KEEP IT. You will never be able to do anything outside of film festivals without all your legal paperwork for each film.

For deliverables I use a binder and make 2 or 3 of them. You may need a set for every territory you sell up to the distributor in that country. You will need it for sure for a Domestic distributor. The rest of I put in files in a box for that film.

Hmm, binders take up so much room, and they're so unsightly. My apt. is only 400 sq. ft., so the shelves need to be orderly. I was thinking of just filing away my binder's guts - I guess I could create a parent hanging file for my project and create folders for each section of the binder. I of course was intent on saving everything, but I just need suggestions for a good system and to make sure I don't save stuff I won't need. Thanks for your feedback so far.

Any more ideas on organizing the files in a way that makes room for future projects?

Just an organizational question here - what do you folks do with all the paperwork generated from a film? What's your filing system? Is there anything you don't keep after it's over? Please let me know - thanks!

I keep everything. Every project has it's own file box, not just a folder, stuff can fall out of a folder. All raw footage tapes, dailys, edits, etc, are all in the box, every thing on one place.

Shove it all in a box, once it's done. Put box in corner. Never open box again.

Heck, some of the stuff I've done had such minimal paperwork it fits in a manilla folder - got a sock-drawer full of those over at my parent's house.

I simply have never been asked to provide documentation for anything, at later dates. I'd probably organise it a lot better if I ever got asked for any of it.

I like the hell out of your idea.

Back