Stills photog

Hello all,

My short film is happening this weekend (yay!) and I have friends shooting production stills for us. They're both great photographers, but not pros -- and neither has done this before. Thing is, I've never had a stills photog on a set before, and I know I don't need to keep them all day -- but I don't know exactly what to tell them as far as what I want them to do. I'm aware that there are usually posed shots (such as the obligatory image of Director pointing at something while actors look on in awe), and BTS stuff, but I'm curious about how long to tell them to be there, what I expect, etc.

How have you used a stills shooter and generally how long are they on set during a 12-hour day? Do you take a photography break to do posed shots between changing lights or something?

Thanks!

Not sure what is customary on a pro set, but I love to have a dedicated sill photographer on set for BTS purposes. I usually ask them to be there for an hour and give them free reign except in between when "standby" and "cut" are called. I don't waste any time posing any shots nor do I dedicate any time specifically for stills. I tell them to take pictures of whatever the crew is doing that looks interesting, whatever interesting things are happening on set, and whatever else comes to mind. Usually they can capture enough BTS things within the allotted hour and then I ask them to clear off.

The script supervisor or PA will take stills of prop placement, hairdos, costumes, etc for continuity throughout the shoot and oftentimes interesting BTS images can be culled from these images.

When I need posed shots (like for posters or DVD covers) we do that on a separate day and only bring myself, the necessary actors/props/lights, and the photographer.

Back