The first thing to do after actors are cast...

I've chosen my actors and they've all accepted, and are excited about the project. What do I need to do before sending them the full script? Anything besides getting releases? Should I give them any other kind of agreements to sign? They know the positions will be unpaid, but if I can swing some money, I'd like to. So, should I wait until I find that dough before getting W-2's or 1099?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

Make sure they fully understand the dates and the importance of commitment to it. Just making sure your ducks are in a row with locations and everything else. Also make sure that you keep to the schedule you have, as was discussed in another thread. You're the director, so they're counting on you to make sure things run smoothly.

I can't speak much for the financial part. Any bonus would be nice, but if you do get to paying them, I hate to sound legal, but make sure there's a paper trail. If your movie ends up being a hit financially, and you gave them 50 bucks each for their help...well, greed can do strange things to people. Something which says you paid them 50 bucks and they agree not to pursue any future monies (if that's what you want :)), however you want to do it. Just get it on paper.

Make sure they fully understand the dates and the importance of commitment to it. Just making sure your ducks are in a row with locations and everything else. Also make sure that you keep to the schedule you have, as was discussed in another thread. You're the director, so they're counting on you to make sure things run smoothly.
To which thread are you referring?

I can't speak much for the financial part. Any bonus would be nice, but if you do get to paying them, I hate to sound legal, but make sure there's a paper trail. If your movie ends up being a hit financially, and you gave them 50 bucks each for their help...well, greed can do strange things to people. Something which says you paid them 50 bucks and they agree not to pursue any future monies (if that's what you want :)), however you want to do it. Just get it on paper.
I don't mind hearing anything that sounds legal, I want to know.

Basically I'd like to know what forms I should give them - is there anything more binding or official than the usual Actos' Release form - like an agreement - that would apply to non-SAG volunteer actors?

Just make sure that your release form has everything you want them to be obligated to do (and everything that you promise them). If you want it to be more binding, have your actors get it notarized. Most banks will do it for free if you've got an account.

When people offer their services for free they do not want their time wasted. Make sure that every last detail of the shoot is covered - permits and other legal documents, security, food and drink, scheduling, locations, crew and a hundred other little details.

You should also have some read throughs and walk-through/talk-through preproduction meetings with the principle cast and crew (including the editor and audio post supervisor, perhaps even the composer). You may even want to turn on the camcorder and do a "demo" of the project. When people feel involved in all aspects of a production they become more committed to the project. They may also have some contributions and insights that will improve your project. It also begins the process of communication, lessening the need for time wasting detailed instructions and creative discussions when on the set. Don't forget to visit the locations prior to the commencement of production with the DP, production sound mixer, crafts and security.

As a sound guy I always have to make some comments about sound. Sound is frequently ignored until post, which is a HUGE mistake. First, you should read my blogs here on IndieTalk if you have not already done so. Get wild dialogs after the scene is completed - your talent is still in character and the wilds are usually superior to doing ADR later. Another reason is that, in my experience, it is usually months before the edit is complete, and no matter how dedicated the talent during the shoot it is tough to get them for ADR five months later. You should also record plenty of room tone and Foley & sound effects wilds. Although this falls under production, you should plan on the time it will take during preproduction. This way your talent and crew know that it will be happening and be prepared for it.

I cannot stress how important it is to capture great sound. Every dollar/minute you spend on sound during production will save at least ten during post.

Hi, yes, all the other stuff is covered - I just wanted to know about any paperwork for actors before I send them the script - this might sound silly, but is an NDA needed?

I'd send them the script right away. Then set up a table read. Then schedule some rehearsals. All the while build a shooting schedule and continue with pre-pro as normal. Don't worry about release forms until they are on set...I mean you can have them sign at the table read if you want...but it's not necessary.

I sent them a release and a wavier, the release states I can use there image sound etc without compensation or their interference and the wavier says that they agree to participate and clear me of any possible suing if they somehow hurt themselves (like trip and fall, etc).

Next I went straight to costumes, make sure you get some dimensions from them, even very basic as your going to need to get a few articles of clothing to help fit the scene and they have to fit (well be wearable) for each actor/actress.

After that, props and blocking, now that you have an Idea of the sizes of your characters you actually casted you can sit down and figure out the scenes knowing that character A is now taller than Character B, you should already have most of this done by now but I tend to take actors and place them where I think they will do best and modify the scene around the changes.

I sent them a release and a wavier, the release states I can use there image sound etc without compensation or their interference and the wavier says that they agree to participate and clear me of any possible suing if they somehow hurt themselves (like trip and fall, etc).

Next I went straight to costumes, make sure you get some dimensions from them, even very basic as your going to need to get a few articles of clothing to help fit the scene and they have to fit (well be wearable) for each actor/actress.

After that, props and blocking, now that you have an Idea of the sizes of your characters you actually casted you can sit down and figure out the scenes knowing that character A is now taller than Character B, you should already have most of this done by now but I tend to take actors and place them where I think they will do best and modify the scene around the changes.

You mean you are *gasp* FLEXIBLE? :weird:

What type of director are you anyway?! ;)

As this is my first serious short film (first with real actors); one who may be driving towards a cliff and not know it, hoping his car can fly. Good thing its a sci-fi flick.

That's an amazing analogy!:D I haven't gotten that far yet, so you have my awe! :)

Sci-fi is a bit easier I would think, you can really play around with stuff and not have to worry about being "logical" or "real". I'll be interested to hear how the experience works out for you!

I still have to get to the point of simply having more than one character in a film:lol:

That's an amazing analogy!:D I haven't gotten that far yet, so you have my awe! :)

Sci-fi is a bit easier I would think, you can really play around with stuff and not have to worry about being "logical" or "real". I'll be interested to hear how the experience works out for you!

I still have to get to the point of simply having more than one character in a film:lol:

YOU INSULT THE GEEK IN ME !! :lol:

Nothing says BAD SCIFI like a story that doesn't make sense. In GOOD SCIFI it IS real and must be logical..

(I know you know it, but do you know that I knew you knew it?)

YOU INSULT THE GEEK IN ME !! :lol:

Nothing says BAD SCIFI like a story that doesn't make sense. In GOOD SCIFI it IS real and must be logical..

(I know you know it, but do you know that I knew you knew it?)

I have offended, and I am sorry! :(;)

Yes I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew it! :D

Yeah the script went though 3 major revisions in six weeks, so hopefully wheatgrinder will like it.
That said the local writing group was very supportive and many members came back with some really good advice!

Jack booted SciFi cops are on the way. They will break down your door and browbeat you into confessing your crimes by in depth discussions on the nature of "dilithim crystals" contamination in relation to warp core emission signatures. prepare ye selves.

KaPla!

Back