"You'll never work in this town again!"

This is a hypothetical question but what types of situations would lead to an individual being blacklisted industry wide? What circumstances would allow an individual who may have caused issues, but were of minor consequence, to still have the potential to work in the film industry after whatever issue has been caused?

Well... that's a bit of a cliche to "never work in this town again!". Though if you did write a horrendous screenplay or get caught in some infamous incident that became viral or known widespread, it could seriously hurt you. And of course if you seriously messed with someone power and respected, it could be potentially harmful. Orson Welles taking heavy inspiration from the life of Hearst is a great example.

Check out the film "Overnight" where someone is blacklisted by harvey weinstein.

Alt you could walk in front of christian bale accidentally while he's filming

That's true. But Welles still worked on quite a few films after though, so was it that bad for him?

Citizen Kane was boycotted by the media. The media threatened to release info on scandals of executives, directors, and actors if the film was released. Hearst threatened to stop the advertising of theater chains if they showed the film. Allegedly, a policeman told Welles that a young naked girl was waiting in his hotel room that Hearst planted there. She was to jump into his arms when Welles entered the room, and a photographer would snap pictures, ruining him forever. He stayed in another hotel overnight to avoid it. He was also booed at the Academy Awards.

His career wasn't ruined, but it hurt him.

The film industry is small and very interconnected. Word travels fast.

Personally, from my point of view in my own line of work (i.e. on set in camera department) it would often depend on a crew member's level of experience, how much I liked him/her and what the 'offense' was.

For example, dropping a lens, or breaking a camera is a great way to get a break from work for a few years.
If you're inexperienced, sometimes I'll understand, though I probably won't work with you again until you've gained some experience.

If you're experienced, it comes down to whether you're experienced and incompetent, or just made a mistake. We all make mistakes from time to time, and some mistakes are worse than others. If you're experienced but generally incompetent, you'll find yourself getting less and less work. If you're experienced and just make a mistake, it will depend on how drastic that mistake was.

Keep in mind that it's not just your technical knowledge and skill on set, it's also the way you present yourself and perform. If you spend too much time talking on set, not enough time working properly, don't act professionally, are consistently late, or even sometimes if you're just a difficult person to work with, you'll find yourself getting less and less work.

you'll find yourself getting less and less work.

I think that's an important point - there's a difference between being 'blacklisted' and just finding that you're getting hired less and less. Truly being 'blacklisted' - the 'you'll never work in this town again' scenario - is comparatively rare. You'd really have to piss off or embarrass someone in a very high position with quite a bit of influence for that to happen. I've known and worked with quite a few people over the years though that, for one reason or another, simply don't get called back to the next job. It my be due to their work ethic, competency, personality, etc - but they basically gradually cut down on their opportunities to do work and grow their careers. It doesn't even take someone telling other people not to hire them - it just takes people not recommending someone to others in the industry to dramatically reduce the number of jobs available.

It seems then that when you break it down it comes to the same things that would cause you to lose work in any other profession or job.

On a global scale then would it be possible for someone who may find difficulty finding work in a certain country related to films, after whatever issues have caused that problem, to then have a second chance of sorts with other countries?

after whatever issues have caused that problem

That's the key element here - what are the issues? You can always leave town and start over somewhere else - but wherever you go, there you are. If you can't find work anymore because some aspect of your personality or conduct makes people not want to work with you or recommend you to others you're likely to end up in the same place after a short time in the new area. If you're lucky/self-aware enough to realize what you were doing wrong then you might be able to make it work if you are diligent about changing your own behavior.

I agree that is the key issue. I used those words to generalise but in terms of specifics it obviously does come down to what the issues are, and whether they are major or minor too.

Mistakes that are constant would definitely have long term effects, for instance if someone is quite clumsy that on every production they break something then their prospects of gaining work wouldn't be rising (if they even were able to get to a point where they've been on enough productions after breaking things).

It also depends on how you deal with your mistake (assuming it's a mistake and not a personality attribute - such as consistently being late - that drives your workload down). If you lie about it, and try and cover it up, don't expect to be back too soon.

If you own up to it and attempt to fix it as best you can (even, say, offering to replace something you've dropped and broken such as a filter, battery etc.), then you'll be viewed more favourably.

I don't know if this really applies but for me I don't do it to work in the industry. I'm not tied to anything of the sort. I'm making and learning because I do truly find it awesome. The whole thing.

I'd say it still applies, unless your plan is to work entirely solo, forever. The same things that will keep you from getting hired will also keep you from finding people to work and collaborate with, or keep them from sticking around once you do find them. Skills, talent, creativity and knowledge are important, but if they aren't combined with dedication, reliability, responsibility, accountability - a strong work ethic, basically - as well as interpersonal skills, you'll struggle to find people who want to work, or continue to work, with you. At it's core filmmaking is a collaborative art, and while it's certainly possible to go it alone, you can take it much farther as part of a team than on your own.

I don't know the answer but did a little work for a director who's effectively been shut out of the directing world. He managed to get fired or not rehired for his prima donna attitude, lack of time management and technical skills. His early CV is amazing but his subsequent inability to learn from his mistakes means he is out in the cold.

Back